Author Topic: inverter air con question  (Read 1488 times)

rgormley

inverter air con question
« on: September 27, 2006, 04:49:45 AM »
Not sure if this is the place to ask the question, if not, got any air con forums to recommend?

Question, if My new 8KW invereter Daikin air con has just been turned on with room temp at 30Deg, the set point on the thermost is 21Deg,

The air con will come of full boar at 8KW

8000 watts / 240Vac By 0.8 =26 AMPS AC

OK so slowly the room temp drops to 21deg and the inverter technology kicks in and is now maintaining the temp at 21deg

the question is (or roughly) how many KW is the unit using to maintain the 21 Deg (assuming the outside ambiant is the same (30deg)

or is this info something more for the daikin R&D techs would have.

just would like to know what kind of AC amp draw the unit will have when maintaning 21deg...

...Richard

« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 04:49:45 AM by (unknown) »

nanotech

Re: inverter air con question
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 01:12:17 AM »
All depends on how well insulated the area you're trying to keep cool is.  The unit will probably drop down to the milliamps when the compressor isn't running (unless yours is like mine and keeps the fan running, in which case you'll probably draw an amp or two).  

But every time the temp goes back up above the thermostat setting and requires some more cooling, that compressor is going to kick in and draw the full 8KW again.

So it's fully dependant on how often the compressor has to kick on as to how much it'll use per hour average.  And that depends on how quickly your "cool space" reheats again.....

« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 01:12:17 AM by nanotech »

rgormley

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 05:34:28 AM »
err umm "that compressor is going to kick in and draw the full 8KW again."

Does not sound correct i think that "inverter" technology will make the unit adjust up or down in small movements rather that "clunk full on" drawing the 8 kw`s

The old style air con units do this, that why they use more power (inrush start up amps)

Where inverters are always on but adjust as required. Thus not having the "start up current"

I may be wrong though....

Maybe I'll get a tong meter and measure it! next sat when it's installed....

Regards,

Richard

« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 05:34:28 AM by rgormley »

disaray1

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 06:54:56 AM »
 Richard is correct here...the compressor only works at full draw on start up, and then feathers back as the temp is reached and never really shuts down like the A/Cs most of us are used to. Thats how they save energy.

The only way to know what the consumption is to get an amp meter on it, preferably one that can data log...

disaray1

« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 06:54:56 AM by disaray1 »