Author Topic: Guidance needed on a plan.  (Read 3532 times)

Scott S

Guidance needed on a plan.
« on: January 19, 2008, 04:42:41 PM »
The plan in a nut-shell:

Currently we have a new construction ranch style house (6" walls) with a oil fired, forced hot water boiler.  My wife would like to have a woodstove in our livingroom for not only the appearence (she wants the glass in the door) but also to help with the ever rising cost of oil (pre-buy is already at $2.99/gal for next year).  My concern is that the livingroom will be 100 degrees and the bedrooms will still be 50.  I'm trying to think of a solution to transfer the heat in a single story, long house - so far I've come up with the following:

Obtain a large woodstove with built-in outer sheet metal shrouds that are now common on the newer style woodstoves.  We've got a Napolean at our camp that might be a good candidate - here's a link to see the stove I'm referring to:

http://www.napoleonfireplaces.com/Webshare/wood/wood%20stoves/1900.html

Remove the shrouds on the stove and construct a heat exchanger out of the same heating element that is commonly used in hot water baseboard (3/4" pipe with aluminum fins mounted to it) then reinstall the shrouds.  This hot water "circuit" would be on both sides of the stove as well as across the top (hopefully you will not even tell the modification was done without a close inspection).  Pipe this heat exchange circuit back into the existing boiler resembling just another zone on the boiler - with the understanding that this zone really works backwards - it brings heat into the boiler instead of carrying heat away from it to the baseboards.

Use a thermal switch near the woodstove to activate the circulator on the woodstove zone so that when the thermal switch senses the heat from the stove it will automatically start circulating the water (heat) in the woodstove zone from the stove back into the bolier and, in turn, out to existing baseboards on whatever zone is calling for heat.  When we don't use the woodstove - the boiler will sense that the temperature is getting too low inside the block and heats up the regular way using the oil burner.

Also, as a safety precaution, install a thermal switch (set to around 210) near the boiler on the outgoing line towards the woodstove.  This thermal switch would sense the core temperature in the boiler and activate a "cold" zone in our garage (we use this zone to keep the garage just above freezing).  This safety switch would prevent the wood stove from transferring too much heat into the boiler by dumping heat into a cold garage to cool the boiler to a more appropriate range.

Benefits:

Nice looking woodstove that can be appreciated visually.  Any heat that is not absorbed by the heat exchanger will be directly dispersed into the livingroom.  Uses the existing forced hot water system to distribute heat to the other end of the house.  Saves oil. Relatively simple to install.  Relatively safe since the boiler already has several expansion valves for safety as well as the addition of the over heat switch.  The heat exchanger would be on the outside of the stove which would not significantly draw down the internal temp of the stove causing condensation and creosote issues.  Automatic back-up with the oil burner.

Problems (all guesses on my part):

Disimmilar metals (copper, aluminum & steel) touching between the stove shrouds and possibly corroding?  Not enough heat transfer to the coils to even make a dent at heating the boiler?  BTU considerations?  Too much heat entering the boiler?  Other issues I'm not seeing?

There are a lot of guesses and assumptions in my plan - if you have any ideas or experiences that may help me - please offer them up.

Thanks, in advance, for any help you guys have to offer,

Scott

« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 04:42:41 PM by (unknown) »

RP

• A dog with novelty teeth. What could go wrong?
Re: Guidance needed on a plan.....................
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 12:31:23 PM »
One non-technical thought.  

Your home-insurance company may disallow any claims you make if you make any modifications to a woodstove.  Be sure to check into this before you start.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 12:31:23 PM by RP »

kurt

• website
Re: Guidance needed on a plan.....................
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 12:57:52 PM »
they make wood stoves that are designed to hook into boiler systems they have the coils in them i know 2 people who bought them recently one in Ireland the other in Australia i would think they would be available in the united states.... talk to a reputable wood stove dealer or 3. if you are buying a stove mite as well buy one designed for what you want it to do.  
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 12:57:52 PM by kurt »

bigdan

Re: Guidance needed on a plan.
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 11:09:02 PM »
A friend did this in his mobile home,long & narrow. He placed the woodstove,box type with a fan built-in directly over the ductwork that came in the home. Reversed the fan flow to blow down into the ductwork. Instant woodstove central heat. He installed a small fan half way down the hall inside the ductwork to push the heat 55-60 feet. Run ductwork under the floor,add a vent in each room. He has a switch on the stove fan he turns off when he loads the stove to contol the smoke that get sucked down the tube. Good luck and Have fun,Bigdan
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 11:09:02 PM by bigdan »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 01:51:06 PM »
I had the same problem in a house that had a gas furnace in the front livingroom. I ran 4 inch PVC pipe from a point over the furnace with a muffin fan to force the air to a place above the ceiling fan in the middle hallway of the house. It worked great, I just plugged the fan up whenever it got too cold and left it running. The ceiling fan spread the heat out to all the rooms coming off of the hallway.

I live in a different house now and use the Fan/Pipe connection as part of my Solar Power system. It now has a 12vdc fan and sits under my computer desk to cool me off in the summer. Here is a picture of it. . .

« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 01:51:06 PM by wooferhound »

TimV

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 10:20:16 PM »
I know for a fact what you describe will work fine.

A friend in Maine(lives in frequent "coldest spot in the nation")looped baseboard heat exchangers as you describe together over the top only of a cabinet type ("Wonder Wood" by U.S. Stove .) They were only on the top of cover and not directly on firebox but it worked fine coveing an area of about 24" x 36".

Stove was in basement so it heated the floor and the the boiler water so boiler had less work to heat the home and it was a large ranch at least 4 bedrooms as I remember.

As for fear of alteration to the stove this was all just laying over the stove and not combustable so it would not hamper or interfere with original design or function of the heater.

I would go for it. Let us know how well it works
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 10:20:16 PM by TimV »

Scott S

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 08:03:23 PM »
Thanks everyone for the comments.  You all gave me more to think about before going forward.

TimV -

Hopefully you read this reply.  Can you email me at skidoome at worldpath.net?  I was hoping that your friend in Maine would be willing to trade emails with me as I move forward on this.  I'd like to pick his brain for ideas.

If anyone knows how to get in touch with TimV - please let me know.

Thanks,

Scott

« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 08:03:23 PM by Scott S »

Vee24

« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 03:46:27 AM by Vee24 »

Vee24

« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 04:33:14 AM by Vee24 »

Errol

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2008, 01:25:05 AM »
Why not add a larger tube around your flue and put your piping inside the outer skin of the tube away from soot and damage of the fire but i have used one single ring of stainless steel tubing inside the firebox and can bring 11 gallons of water to boil in 2hrs using only thermosyphon ie. hot water rises
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 01:25:05 AM by Errol »