Author Topic: No electricity oil stove  (Read 6607 times)

Shadow

No electricity oil stove
« on: December 21, 2010, 12:46:11 PM »
 Just installed this Yukon oil stove in our basement. I got it through Home Hardware here in Canada.

We took out our grain burning stove that used 200 watts 24 hrs a day, and replaced it with this one that uses no electricity. I hope to burn 100% Bio diesel in it. I'm up to 50% so far (second week). Our 1500 sq ft basement is 72-75F degrees with outside temps being in the -14C daytime to -22C at night range.Thats on the lowest possible setting.

Wife was worried about the smell but absolutely none so far. Had to install a 5 inch insulated chimney.And I also built a 2 gal tank out of 4 inch square tubing  that is built right into the wall behind the stove in the basement to have 2 gals of warm fuel at all times.

So far very pleased.            http://www.drolet.ca/product.aspx?CategoId=3&Id=223&Page=photo

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: No electricity oil stove
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 01:03:08 PM »
Cool!
Or Hot?
I dunno.

It is just bringing up a blank page for oil stoves.
Do they make more than the one model?
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 07:35:12 PM »
hey shadow,
 I'm in the middle of installing a wood stove to replace the oil space heater in my shop.
there is no place that sells stove oil in my town any more .
so I'm burning diesel and it's too expensive.
do you find much soot build up with the bio diesel?

Shadow

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 07:52:07 PM »
Its only been a couple weeks, and I am only at about 50% Bio so far. I shut it down today and went through the cleaning process they reccomend to do once a month. (Takes about 10 minutes). There was about a teaspoon full of lightly crusted deposit in the bottom  of the burning pot. I was able to loosen it with just a piece of paper towel I had in my hand.Wiped it out and lit it back up.

I will try to get some pictures here soon. The link I have still brings up the photo. But I've read on thier site where this stove is discontinued I think!  I ordered it about a month ago, came in a couple weeks ago and now discontinued...hmm

Anyway did some research on them before I bought it as there were some on Kijiji for sale in eastern Canada. So I emailed a half dozen or so and asked alot of questions all were satified with them but Like you either diesel not available or diesel got to high priced.All I wanted was something that would burn Bio and use very little or no electricity. 
 Theres a Kuma stove on youtube thats pretty much identical that has been using Bio for 3 years.His is an insert I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeHXwSFPpes&feature=related

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 09:46:56 AM »
thanks for the you tube link .
buddy seems to be getting good ignition judging by the colour of that flame.
i will carry on with the wood stove for a few years just to get rid of some of the wood i have laying around .
but i don't think I'll throw the oil stove away.
it may have a whole new life burning biodiesel.