Author Topic: Blown insulation  (Read 2169 times)

Birdmmjb

Blown insulation
« on: December 15, 2007, 03:35:20 PM »
Hi. I'm thinking about another project to keep this old house warm and have seen where some folks have blown cellulose insulation into the walls.  We opened one wall last summer while installing a new door.  The only insulation in the outside wall is 80 years of cobwebs. As that wall was bead board I took it down and insulated it but that leaves the rest of the house which I beleave is plaster.  Or the hardest sheet rock I've ever seen.

I can't find any insulation at the building stores that state that it can be used for blowing into walls it is all for celling use.

Is there a difference? Or is the practice of blowing in walls not safe in some way?  IE what about contact with wiring at the switch box ect.

I need to paint the old house on the inside and my daughter is very good at plaster reapair so it would not be that hard to drill the holes and insulate let her repair then repaint.

All advise and tips welcome.

Jan

Pretty wide of topical. I found much info with google its no secret.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 03:35:20 PM by (unknown) »

zeusmorg

Re: Blown insulation
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 09:10:46 AM »
 Retro fitting insulation into wall cavities has several problems to contend with, first off what type of outside wall is there? Is there any vapor barrier of any sort? Are the cavities sealed top and bottom?

Putting cellulose insulation into older wall cavities in a high humidity area would allow the insulation to absorb and hold moisture which does two things, negates most of your insulation value, and can cause the cellulose to rot, which can also cause your wall studs to rot also. Fiberglass doesn't have this problem as badly and you can also find loose fill fiberglass. Loose fill also has a problem of settling over the years. You can also use a spray in foam, they make special formulas just for spraying in existing cavities which has a different expansion rate(standard spray foam could expand enough to buckle walls). However this option is expensive. I would ask a local insulation contractor to advise you on what your best options are.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 09:10:46 AM by zeusmorg »