Author Topic: Mongolian Yurt Style Structures  (Read 18691 times)

elvin1949

Re: Is that double walled?
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2006, 09:00:12 PM »
Aelric

go to the library and pick up a book called

Rustic Retreats

writen by David and Jeanie Stiles.

It has plan's for a small [8 ft] yurt. Very detailed and easy plans start on page 118.

the plans can be scaled up ie 16-24 ft.

later

elvin
« Last Edit: February 17, 2006, 09:00:12 PM by elvin1949 »

Aelric

Re: Is that double walled?
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2006, 09:36:09 PM »
thank you very very much!  I sure will check it out.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2006, 09:36:09 PM by Aelric »

BCborn

Re: Mongolian Yurt Style Structures
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2006, 12:50:31 AM »
Well, funny you should say that, becuase.. on the farm.. thats the conclusion we came to as well! Silo tarps, they come in 30' wide rolls. Perfect. One Roll easily does a whole Yurt + leftovers! (Or was it two yurts?)

As for the dogs + heat... I'm not sure where you got your info there, but I'm thinking your winters don't get to -30c. Not even the dogs hang out in our Yurts when the woodstove ain't goin LOL. Definately need a heatsource my friend, even WITH the reflectix.

Cheers

« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 12:50:31 AM by BCborn »

BCborn

Re: Mongolian Yurt Style Structures
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2006, 01:04:38 AM »
Update: May 30/2006

Great success with moisture control. No issues - None. Even when unattended, with no fires burning through 2 months of the wettest spring weather, the interior of the Yurt never climbed above 25% humidity - all the while outside it was over 90%, often. Seems the work I did around the perimeter (Big-O) drainage, the skirting, and the woodstove took care of everything. The solar radiation from the skylights killed any in-room mildew. No problems whatsoever. I'd know - I'm very allergic to mold!

The skylights really helped, but I reduced their size. Unseen is a "screen-door" section. The roof never leaked a drop, and the Yurt is officially over a year old now. A new roof is planned for August (just to be safe), and will be Silo tarps. There are 2 new Yurts on the property too! they are bit luxurious compared to mine. Mine still has no power or running water, but, it might be getting a pipe this year.

New pics:

« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 01:04:38 AM by BCborn »