Author Topic: Solar panel installation and solar grants  (Read 3188 times)

Amy

Solar panel installation and solar grants
« on: January 10, 2023, 06:38:03 AM »
"Hello to everyone. I'm just looking for some guidance and advice, and I'm hoping that some of the more experienced and knowledgeable forum participants can offer some pearls of wisdom. I'm completely clueless when it comes to solar panels.
So, my husband and I have occasionally discussed installing solar panels, but we've always put it off because we assumed it would be expensive up front, and we weren't in a position to do so until recently. I have no desire to pay for them over time. I'm not interested if I can't pay for them in full or with a 0% interest plan up front. 
 We recently received a quote from Warma UK, a solar panel installation company... They also stated that if we are eligible, we can receive solar grants through the ECO scheme, allowing us to have it done for free...
Could you please share your thoughts about it...?

mab

Re: Solar panel installation and solar grants
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2023, 03:42:02 PM »
I'm not sure what you want to know. If you're eligible for the eco4 grants then I'd say go for it. I wasn't eligible as i already has solar panels and don't claim any benefits; someone i know was eligible but didn't want a heat pump so couldn't have any of it (seemed to be a package deal: pv, battery, insulation and heat pump). Once i was told i wasn't eligible i didn't look any further so you'll need to find out for yourself.

I would generally advise someone to install pv if they can - it should pay for itself even without a grant, but it may be a longterm roi, and it does depend on how much effort you are prepared to go to to use your 'free' energy when it's there, as opposed to a 'fit and forget' attitude and using energy whenever you want.

Amy

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2023, 05:46:06 AM »
Is it ok to have PV system into shared (household) RCD?

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2023, 08:36:28 AM »
A (UK) PV system should feed into a breaker/RCD with no other loads on it, as far as I know, but otherwise going straight into your consumer unit alongside everything else.  That's how mine is.

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

mab

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2023, 12:40:53 PM »

Theoretically it is acceptable, provided that it is a type A or B RCD (or the type specified by the inverter manufacturer) and that the shared RCD isn't for the entire house.

To meet current bs7671 wiring recommendations it is advised that the whole house isn't supplied via a single rcd anyway (eg, you ought to have a dual RCD 'split' consumer unit as a minimum - that way, if there's a fault you cannot trace,  you will still have access to power somewhere in the house).

Amy

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2023, 10:32:58 AM »
Thats insightful

Amy

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2023, 06:13:04 AM »

Theoretically it is acceptable, provided that it is a type A or B RCD (or the type specified by the inverter manufacturer) and that the shared RCD isn't for the entire house.

To meet current bs7671 wiring recommendations it is advised that the whole house isn't supplied via a single rcd anyway (eg, you ought to have a dual RCD 'split' consumer unit as a minimum - that way, if there's a fault you cannot trace,  you will still have access to power somewhere in the house).

Can you recommend any good solar panel installers in Wales? Have you heard about Warma UK? Any other suggestiins?

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2023, 10:56:40 AM »
Quote from: Amy
Can you recommend any good solar panel installers in Wales?

Since we are a non-commercial site, help doing this on your own is king.

clockmanFRA

• Renewable Energy creation
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2023, 04:12:54 AM »

Amy, try these folk in the UK they are also non commercial independant forum,  but are very UK based and InTouch with the UK GTI stuff.

Yea, i sometimes say something on that forum but i shape my comments to differing folk.

https://camelot-forum.co.uk/phpBB3/index.php
Everything is possible, just give me time.

OzInverter man. Normandy France.
http://www.bryanhorology.com/renewable-energy-creation.php

3 Hugh P's 3.7m Wind T's (12 years) .. 5kW PV on 3 Trackers, (8 yrs) .. 9kW PV AC coupled to OzInverter MINI Grid, back charging AC Coupling to 48v 1300ah battery

Amy

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2023, 10:43:45 AM »
Thanks for the info...