Author Topic: Different style yurt  (Read 8921 times)

MVIDSMITH

Different style yurt
« on: December 26, 2008, 12:02:55 AM »
I live in a 10 foot yurt of sorts.

My roof is a 10 foot satellite dish mounted on 4 4x4 posts the khanas are just lattice from home depot. the outside is some cheap 6ft wide 42  foot long indoor outdoor carpet the next layer is reflectix and inside that is a 1 inch layer of styrofoam (the blue kind)

the roof is a market umbrella canvas found for five bucks and then a silver tarp on top. There is some styrofoam (white beadboard kind) cut into pie shapes and fill in 8 of 12 pieces of the pie in the roof.

I built a partial floor to raise up my inflatable bed and I heat with a little buddy when I'm there to sleep. I'm in the process of building a heat grabber/ door out of a skylight that is 2 foot by 4 foot.  It has sustained single digit temps and 50 mile per hour winds without a shudder and sheds the feet of snow we have had very easily. (Is noisy when it slides though)

The good news is Ive found another dish and will soon have 2 rooms.

I think I will be working on a compost hydronic heater in the next one. I have the pex already.,

I need to look at another part of the site for ideas on that.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 12:02:55 AM by (unknown) »

TheCasualTraveler

Re: Different style yurt
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2008, 08:46:36 PM »
    I think I can speak for most when I say, Pictures Please!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2008, 08:46:36 PM by TheCasualTraveler »

spinningmagnets

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2008, 10:28:55 PM »
This site has some great discussions about interesting and useful ideas. The other site I find most interesting for this kind of thing is

www.BuildItSolar.com

Its a lot more than just solar ideas. Best of luck!

« Last Edit: December 25, 2008, 10:28:55 PM by spinningmagnets »

GaryGary

• Build-It-Solar
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 09:44:42 AM »
Hi,

I'd 2nd the vote for pictures -- sounds like an interesting setup.

Have you thought about a low mass, low cost attached sunspace/greenhouse?

This would give you some extra low cost space as well as providing some free heat.

http://www.builditsolar.com/Experimental/ShurcliffPart1/PolySpace.htm

http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/Sunspace/sunspaces.htm

Gary

« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 09:44:42 AM by GaryGary »

fcfcfc

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 09:09:20 AM »
Hi:

I had to look up the word to know what this thing was.... out of curiosity if you don't mind, is this some kind of experiment in outdoor living, a hobby of sorts.. or something else...??...

.....Bill

« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 09:09:20 AM by fcfcfc »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 12:05:44 PM »
a satellite dish would make a great cover for a Porch Swing

something like this . . .

http://www.mountlehmanllamas.com/feeder-sat-dish.html

« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 12:05:44 PM by wooferhound »

kurt

• website
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2008, 11:40:59 PM »
MVIDSMITH  your comment had a huge picture in it one of them was resized but the other was huge it had to go.. we have rules here pictures have to be less than 150kb and less than 640 x 480 pixels please repost within those guidelines we all would like to see i am sure....
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 11:40:59 PM by kurt »

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 09:02:44 AM »
Photo Size is limited to 150K bytes and/or 640x480.. Please resize your photos before posting them, whether they reside on this server or yours. If you post large images, it causes problems for other users who have slow internet connections and small screens.

Frequently Asked Questions

***Images retrieved from MVID's files and re-sized just for fun : )

« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 09:02:44 AM by DanG »

bob golding

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 11:21:33 AM »
looks cosy,

hope you have a carbon monoxide detector. if that roof is as well sealed as it looks you could geta little too cosy. otherwise a nice job. there is a satellite station not far from me that is being dismantled. trouble would be getting the dish home.

cheers

bob golding

« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 11:21:33 AM by bob golding »
if i cant fix it i can fix it so it cant be fixed.

thirteen

• Single going totally off grid 1,1, 2013
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 11:01:01 PM »
I have seen two large dishes that were in three pieces maybe that one is. You could just disassemble it and transport. Just an idea
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 11:01:01 PM by thirteen »
MntMnROY 13

MVIDSMITH

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2009, 03:13:16 PM »
Thank you for the resize of the pics.  I hadn't had a chance to do it myself and appreciate your help.

These dishes are metal mesh that break in four sections. thats how i was able to attach the metal clip to the 4x4 and dish. 0 degree weather and still cozy/ lots of air flow(too much really) and an oxygen sensor on the little buddy heater to help with the CO problem.

M

« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 03:13:16 PM by MVIDSMITH »

SourcetoSea

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2009, 07:32:28 PM »
That's all kinds of cool. My ladyfriend and I lived in a straw bale yurt I built during grad school. Put up a quick and dirty (and barely functional) windmill with and Ametek motor and PVC blade.

Here's some background on the yurt:

http://sourcetosea.net/living-in-a-straw-bale-yurt-near-ohio-university/

And here's some photos

http://sourcetosea.net/straw-bale-yurt-photos

« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 07:32:28 PM by SourcetoSea »

MVIDSMITH

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2009, 01:44:09 PM »
source to sea

I understand your walls.  How did you do the roof?

« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 01:44:09 PM by MVIDSMITH »

SourcetoSea

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2009, 01:10:53 PM »
I'll see if I can dig up some pics, but here's it in a nutshell.

Center ring was glue-screwed from 3 layers of plywood (3/4" off the top of my head). This was about 3' outside diameter, with a 2' diameter hole in the center. Simpson sheer hangers (2x4") were put around the circumference to accept the rafters.

Rafters were 2x4's (10' off the top of my head) with 3/8" hole drilled about 18" from the tail end, with a slot to the side for the tension cable to reach the hole. Tension cable was about 3/8 stainless cable. Used about 18 rafters, with the tail ends apart by about 2'.

Assembly

Center ring was temporarily put on a post about 3" above the theoretical final roof height. Tension cable was cut, the clamped with 4 clamps to the proper diamter and laid on top of the bales. 4 rafters were laid on top of the bales, then brought up one at a time to the center ring and screwed into the Simpson hangers. After all the rafters were up, the tension cable was inserted into the holes drilled near the tail ends and wired in so they wouldn't slip out. Fingers were crossed, and the center post was pulled out. Rafters adjusted as need be to keep everything mostly even.

I covered/stapled tyvek (white side inside) to the rafters as tight as possible, the clear plastic, then a tarp. This sufficed for the first couple of months. Took off the tarp,  stapled some strips of carpet on the roof, then threw up about 12-18" of straw as even as I could. Another layer of plastic, then the tarp goes back on. Huge, huge difference with the straw up there, but damn if it wasn't a huge fire hazard. Cheap though!

Door and windows used 10" bucks with angle brackets. Plastic on both sides of the windows in summer, with some mosquito netting  stapled on. Used a sheet of plastic for a door for a couple of months, then put in a plywood door with plexiglass window.

Plastic on the floor, then tarp, then dumpster-dived carpet padding and carpet.  Eventually put in a barrel stove going out one of the windows.

Hovel sweet hovel, but sometimes I really miss that funky little place.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 01:10:53 PM by SourcetoSea »