Author Topic: Dream House/Workshop  (Read 14407 times)

windjunkie

Dream House/Workshop
« on: February 06, 2009, 12:17:45 AM »
Howdy,

I have started planning my dream house/workshop. It will be quite a while before I start building this house but when I do build it I want it to be as close to perfect as I can manage (think twice, build once).

What I am looking for is advice on small stuff that you have found to make your life easier (especially since I plan on growing older in this house/workshop).

For instance, I have a friend who recently built his dream workshop. He built into the floor and ceiling hard points for tying stuff to/down. They are 1" rebar that is sunk into the foundation, the holes depressions created by the rebar are covered by a counter sunk 1/4" steel plate. The end result is a completely smooth floor that has lots of hard points accessible by simply lifting a small plate. The ceiling has the same setup. Maybe not necessary for most of us but he find them useful and they were fairly cheep to implement, as long as he pre-planned for them.

Basically have you ever said "Man, I wish I had something like that at my place." Or, "I wish I had thought of this before I built it." I want that information.

All feedback is appreciated.

WindJunkie

« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 12:17:45 AM by (unknown) »

scottsAI

Re: Dream House/Workshop
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 05:54:54 PM »
WindJunkie,

Spent the last two years designing mine.

My problem is too many hobbies: Wood working, Chemistry, Light metal working, Robot building, Electronics, computers etc.

Never enough room. Need lots of storage.

Build it twice as big as you need. I settled on 60' x 100' two story pole barn. Then got laid off, so not building it. (yet)

Make sure you have an office, place to design, relax, meet with friends

Woodworking make you put in a dust collection system, DIY design out there, for long term health.

Design it for solar heating and power from the get go, the overall cost is minimal over standard construction. Low cost methods at www.builditsolar.com

Make the solar heat collector the roof.

Consider papercrete for the walls.

Have fun,

Scott.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 05:54:54 PM by scottsAI »

KilroyOdin

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 06:30:54 PM »
Idea for work space. Lay out a air supply lines next to the electric outlets so you do not have a long airline to be concerned with, maybe drop downs from the ceiling. I like the idea about good storage space so your  work space can be clear. All the best, hope to see some pictures.  

« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 06:30:54 PM by KilroyOdin »

GaryGary

• Build-It-Solar
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 07:22:51 PM »
Hi,

This is the thing I like most about my shop -- solar heating AND outstanding natural lighting:

http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/SpaceHeating/SolarGarageCollector/garcol.htm

Even my wife comments that on a sunny day its the best place to be in the house.

Lighting is really important, and natural lighting is be best.

The other thing that I like a lot is the carpet floor.  Seems a bit goofy, but its very nice to work on.  The carpet is left over from reflooring the living room, and is not permanently attached to the floor.

Gary

« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 07:22:51 PM by GaryGary »

TheCasualTraveler

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 08:39:05 PM »
     The one thing I did with the large addition I added onto my house was framing the roof conventionally, not using trusses. I hate seeing houses built with trusses in the roof and the huge amount of space wasted. In Florida, thats the way it's almost always done. I probably have the only house in town with 600 sq. ft. of attic space. Just took a little planning to have ductwork etc. behind the little kneewalls on the side.

The second thing I would do is plan windows better. We try to use the AC as little as possible and so like to have the windows open as much as possible. The problem is having to close them every time it threatens rain. Horizontal sliding windows, casement windows and single hung windows I will never do again. Double hung is ok with a wide roof overhang or awning above if you only open the top window but I think my preference would be large fixed glass windows with a smaller awning window above for ventilation.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 08:39:05 PM by TheCasualTraveler »

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 10:46:39 PM »
A phone, in case something goes wrong (fire, injury). A toilet, so I don't have to leave if nature calls. A small fridge for cold water in the summer and a microwave to heat water for tea in the winter.

Enough electricity, natural light and powered ventialtion to allow welding indoors if it's not possible outside.

A strong shop wet/dry vac, brooms, shop rags and compressed air to keep things clean.

Large sturdy wooden and metal top tables with bench vises on them.

Enough shelf space from all my tools.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 10:46:39 PM by dnix71 »

Simen

• Grimstad, Norway
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 01:18:01 AM »
You didn't mentioned what kind of climate you live in but if you get cold winters, i would have water-based floorheating in most rooms; that way, you are completely free to choose heating source. Be it electricity, solar, gas, wood, diesel...

Also, have the electrician install proper dimensioned low-voltage cabling throughout the house; that way, you're free to use your RE directly wherever it's needed.(lighting etc.)

« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 01:18:01 AM by Simen »
I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. - (R. A. Heinlein)

ruddycrazy

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 02:54:10 AM »
For the workshop side with RE you can't go past using VFD's for powering your gear. Basically if you don't know a VFD is a Variable Frequency Device. Single phase input 3 phase output with variable speed, reverse, ramp down or brake etc. I've setup my bridgeport mill, 2 lathes and shortly I'll powerup my surface grinder too. Before I switched my toolroom lathe back to 3 phase I found the single phase 1/2hp motor was drawing heaps of amps on the batteries. By putting a VFD on cut the current draw by well over a 1/2.

For a fridge use a ammonia abosrbant gas fridge and make ya own wood gas to run it. That will work in colder climates but forget it when it 40C+ in the shade. I know as I'm finding that out now after 5 years of running one.

Cheers Bryan

« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 02:54:10 AM by ruddycrazy »

mgtd

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 05:49:20 AM »
I didn't design it from the ground up, but bought it 2 years after new construction and modified it to my needs.  A 1700 sq. ft home with attached 24 by 52 garage/rec room with attached 52 by 52 workshop that I divided into heated and unheated spaces (with capabilities of heating the other half in the future). The main workshop "was" an indoor sand riding arena, so when I converted that to workshop space I started with a bare studded area, incorporated radiant in floor hot water heat, with an outdoor wood furnace that heats the shop, home and rec room also.  I can walk from the kitchen through the rec room to the shop in slippers and skivies, and the rec room and garage separate the home from the shop for noise/odor isolation.  Being in "tornado alley" and on a hill and slab foundation, no basement--so we excavated and poured a 8 by 14 by 8" deep storm cellar with access through a floor/door just inside the shop.   This serves as a storm cellar, wine cellar and firearm storage bunker.  14 foot ceiling in the shop, well wired for 220 and 110, well insulated, and convienient.  Have been adding wind/solar RE for the past year.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 05:49:20 AM by mgtd »

wdyasq

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 05:51:41 AM »
Cabinets ... and a few more cabinets will be in my next shop. I don't think a shop can have enough storage space.

Personally, I will have a suspended floor I work on. And - it will probably be 'heated'. Life is a lot better in the Winter when one's feet are warm.

Ron

« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 05:51:41 AM by wdyasq »
"I like the Honey, but kill the bees"

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 06:29:52 AM »
Add more wires.  Lots and lots more wires.

Outlets, cable TV, telephone, etc.  Maybe Cat5.

Cheap, quick, and easy to do before insulation and drywall.  Not so later.

I still have 1 spare cable TV wire and 2 spare 110V wires from the basement to the attic, not connected on either end, but available should they be needed.

Insulate inside the concrete block before they cap it.

Insulate the hot water pipes inside the walls with those foam tubes.

Man, I wish I had:

Thicker outside walls, for more insulation.  My uncle just built a house.  2x6 walls added only $900 to his total cost (lumber, insulation and labor), and it would have been less but his wife wanted 9' ceilings.

Pipes in the cement floor(s), as others said.  Cheap and easy to install before pouring, even if you never plan to use them.

An intercom from the workshop to living area.  We use cell phones.

A "shower drain heat recovery device".

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2007/12/13/172543/25

Man, I am glad I have a door bell chime in the workshop, so I can work out there and not miss UPS if something needs a signature.

G-

« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 06:29:52 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2009, 07:26:03 AM »
G;

Wires is good. However, I would install nice conduit [with pull lines], in addition to all the wires you know you need "now".

Technology changes and conduit will likely acommodate the Fiber Optics we know is coming. Copper cable will not.

Double your shop / storage space.

Halve your living space.

Those huge McMansions are obscene in my opinion.

Smaller is easier to keep up, has a lower impact on environmental and energy resources and is just smarter. We live comfortably in considerably under 1,000 Sq Ft here for 2.

Kids skew everything, too. Little buggers. [Kidding].

Oh, as a hedge against the future, try to stick with one level as much as sane. I have some issues getting around so climbing stairs is something I avoid. Just something to consider for the long term.

Big doors on shop / storage areas. nothing more frustrating than a door you cannot get your projects out of when finished.

Just a few random ramblings.

Tom

« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 07:26:03 AM by TomW »

zap

• There's an app for that
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2009, 07:50:11 AM »
Awww Tom... Everyone should have the pleasure of building a canoe in the basement then trying to figure out how to get it out of said basement!  :)

« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 07:50:11 AM by zap »

brokengun

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2009, 08:16:53 AM »
One thing that I know if a constant annoyance in the shop I use are past "I'll get to that eventually" projects. My dad has a hot rod that he built years and years ago, the thing takes up a whole bay in our three bay garage and is really unprotected too. Basically if you can make your shop have some sort of storage in the second story maybe, then it might be really helpful to reduce climbing over stuff that isn't useful to you at the time.

I bet that radiant floor heating system would  be nice if you work on cars at all. I don't know about you but I don't have a lift and it can be pretty cold laying next to the concrete floor underneath a car.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 08:16:53 AM by brokengun »

WindJuggler

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2009, 12:13:45 PM »
Hello,

I'm converting some old horse stables into a workshop so I have been thinking a lot about those things too.

For the electricity:

Put some PVC pipes in the floor. This will come in handy if you want to place some extra cable across the shop. If you do this be aware that this isn't good practice if there are a lot of mice or rats around.

Use protected lighting. I would have broken a lot if I didn't had a cap on mine.

Some other handy things to keep in mind:

If you work a lot with iron bars, make sure that you have a good place ware you can store the standard length of iron bars (here it is 6m). Otherwise you will have to cut them every time you want to store them

Make the workshop ceiling high enough. So that in case you have to turn something you will be able to.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 12:13:45 PM by WindJuggler »
Wim

thirteen

• Single going totally off grid 1,1, 2013
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2009, 10:34:41 AM »
mount some rials on your cieling use an electric wench so you can move heavey things around to different corners of your shop

make a heavey duty dolley for moving things

Put a door on each side for a drive thru so when you are older you don't have to worry about who is behind you or will you back up to far to unload items  

maybe a door on either side incase of a fire or nasty spill

smoke detectors

install an exhust fan for fumes if welding or cutting or mixing glue

use windows that are of good quality that are placed for using naturel lighting

use rubber pads for where you stand alot, it helps the feet and knees

make sure the work bench is for your working hieght not some one elses

a shower would be nice for cleaning up also make it so you could wash items inside it

a good insulated shop is a must

put extra backing betwwen the studs if you use wood instead of block in the walls for mounting things and make a map of where they are and draw a map of where all your wiring is inside the walls.

put an emergency pull cord attached to your breaker panel and put it around your shop for killing the power from either side or end of your shop.

a good set of speakers for sound if you like music while you work

if you use battery power put them outside in there own biulding for safty and make it big enough to work in out of the weather

when you run electricity add a couple of extra wires for the future

put some metal plates in the floor where you might want to secure equipement or power tools you can always bolt down something if there is a plate just drill and tap some threads into the plates

make some warning signs for your door for other people

floor drains

maybe an eye wash station

fire extinguisher on each end

levers for door handles incase you have things in your hands

cover your main entrance with a small roof

good frig and two chairs and a brew or two

best of luck building your shop

either use, laugh, or disregard these ideas  

« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 10:34:41 AM by thirteen »
MntMnROY 13

TheEquineFencer

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2009, 10:51:24 AM »
Here's my .02 worth, put some PEX pipe in the floor when you pour, if you ever decide to use radiant heat it's there. On the subject of horse stables, I ran across a site somewhere the guy used radiant heat in the floor and had an insulated manure pile that he drew the heat from the decomposition, it was around 150degree F. I found keeping my place warm in the winter was my biggest challenge, next to keep my other half off my back from "staying in the shop too much".
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 10:51:24 AM by TheEquineFencer »

windjunkie

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2009, 06:55:30 PM »
Thanks for the ideas, this is all good info that I will defiantly be incorporating into the build.

So to recap:

*    Double the Space you think you will need.

*    Oversized conduit in walls and floor for future modifications to wiring

*    PEX pipe in the floor for heating

*    3/4 bathroom

*    Oversized Doors

*    Workbench and cabinet space at your personal height.

*    Proper Ventilation/Dust Collection System

*    Proper Insulation, Window placement,

*    Design with RE in mind for power

This is just what I was looking for! Thanks for all the help and keep it coming!

« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 06:55:30 PM by windjunkie »

GaryGary

• Build-It-Solar
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2009, 08:21:24 PM »
Hi,

If you are going to radiant heat the floor slab with PEX pipe, then the slab should be insulated with rigid foam.  The foam insulation should be under the full slab, and all the way around the periphery.

This insulation is a good idea even if you don't use radiant floor heat, but very important if you do use it.  

Gary

« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 08:21:24 PM by GaryGary »

bj

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2009, 08:39:35 PM »
Windjunkie--agree with almost all of this, the only thing I didn't see

was LOTS of bench space in the shop.  I have almost 50 feet of bench,and

it isn't enough.  Keep aquiring new tools that need to be bench mounted.

Oh-ya, and a big kitchen island in the house for those nasty cold days.

bj
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 08:39:35 PM by bj »
"Even a blind squirrel will find an acorn once in a while"
bj
Lamont AB Can.

paulb662000

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2009, 05:30:48 PM »
If using an architect or designer ask about requirements for handicapped accessability. For example 36" wide doors throughout house, and bracing behind shower walls for grab rail install if needed. If the house is to be multi-story, framing for possible later install of small elevator if you become mobility impaired.

Insulate under concrete slabs, and install well insulated roll up doors in shop/garage.

A kitchenette setup on wall of shop backing to the bath allows for short utility runs - think slop sink, counter, and range (oven for powder coating, burners for other stuff). And as others have commented - mini fridge, coffee maker, microwave.

A separate parts room allows for organization and keeps everything away from sawdust/welding smut. It also allows for somewhere to put a compressor that would keep the noise down.

If the ground slopes off I have seen (and plan on doing next time) a roll up door out one side of the shop leading to a patio/outdoor work area/loading dock. this allows for easy (and sometimes lower cost) deliveries, and less stress loading items going out.

Long power strips (like plugmold brand) on walls above benches or on the edge of freestanding work tables makes for easy power access.

Wire for 20 amp circuits - It uses 12 gauge instead of 14 Gauge and allows for heavier duty tools.

use spec grade switches and outlets - they are designed to last through many more cycles.

Use drawered bottom cabinets in the kitchen - the space is much more useable. Also self closing drawer glides will close the drawers all the way and minimize drips from the counter making it into drawers.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 05:30:48 PM by paulb662000 »

windjunkie

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2009, 10:24:14 PM »
PaulB,

Excellent point about mobility access, I dont plan on it but it seems like building the house/garage to those specs will make it easier on me anyway (wider doors = easier access) and if it does happen well then I'm covered.

WindJunkie

« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 10:24:14 PM by windjunkie »

random

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2009, 05:40:04 AM »
We just moved into our first offgrid house a little before Christmas, it took us 2 years to build it.  We (the wife and I) did everything except the concrete flatwork and the sheetrock ourselves -- ditch digging, electrical, plumbing, roofing, everything.  It's totally offgrid and completely code-compliant according to the inspectors.  I can tell you about it, maybe something will "click".

We're a little above 10,000 feet elevation in the Colorado Rockies.  The lowest temp I've seen here in 5 years is -15F.  Usually during winter the temps range between 3F and 20F.  The house is 375 square feet inside, basically a greatroom with a kitchen and bathroom.

Our foundation is a concrete slab.  It was poured inside ICF's.  Below the slab is 2" of styrofoam insulation.  The water lines are about 4' below that and have another 2" of styrofoam on top of them.

EVERYTHING in the house that is electrical runs on 12vDC, with one exception that will soon be remedied (a heating device for our on-demand water heater).  We have full 120v available inside when we want it, basically we use it to recharge cellphones and run a hairdryer occasionally, that's it.

The lights are 12vDC, using standard household fixtures and socket converters that let us use automotive bulbs.  The water pumps are Shurflo RV pumps.  The refrigerator is an Isotherm CR90.  The on-demand hot water heater is a PrecisionTemp RV-500.  Heat is supplied by an Empire DV-35 propane heater that is thermostatically controlled but requires no electricity, its pilot light heats a thermopile.  We also have a Jotul F100 woodstove.  Insulation is R19 in the walls, R38 in the ceiling.  We went for a cathedral ceiling to make it feel roomier, and it does.  During winter when the temp is in single digits outside and we fire up the woodstove, we have to open windows to keep from getting run out of the place, an inside temp of 80F+ is almost too easy to achieve and it's taken some practice to learn how to keep it reasonable.

There's a 12v control panel in the kitchen above the range hood inside a cabinet.  On average the house runs at maybe 4amps.  The 12vDC isn't really 12v, it's really 13.7v provided by a Samlex switch-mode DC converter attached to our 24v battery bank.  So we're talking about an average power usage for the entire house of maybe 70 watts.  When I run my laptop it's about 60 watts by itself but a lot of the time the house is drawing zero current.

About 12' from the house is the generator/power shed.  It's about 6'x12' in size, the south half is the electrical room and the north half is the generator room.  They are separated by a wall that I made as airtight as possible.  The generator room has never yet been used for a generator, it's currently full of "stuff" we have no other place to store.

The electrical room contains a battery box made from a large plastic tub turned upside down and vented through the roof with 4' poly pipe.  It has room for just 4 batteries, and I may replace it this summer to expand the battery bank.  Currently the battery bank is 250AH.  It's connected to a Xantrex DR2424 charger/inverter, a Samlex SDC-30 switch-mode voltage converter to provide 12v, an Outback MX-60 solar controller (currently acting as a costly voltmeter as I've no solar array yet), and a meter/switchbox for an AirBreeze wind turbine.

The power lines between shed and house run underground.  There's also a 1" poly pipe that's there for possible future instrumentation inside the house.

I *should* have run a second line between the power shed and the back of the woodstove so I'd be able to conveniently run a line from some kind of heat-powered device, but I failed to do that.

Currently we charge the batteries from a gas-powered generator which runs a few hours a day.  The wind turbine helps out but was never intended to do the full job, just add a bit during blizzard conditions.

If there's more I can tell you, ask.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 05:40:04 AM by random »

paulb662000

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2009, 06:45:48 PM »
WindJunkie,

Glad I could put my $.02 in. As far as those specs go I would say pick and choose what you want. Framing and supports are cheaper to put in when building, but personally, being 6'7" I find ADA (americans with disabilities act) specs for counter height and light switch locations annoying. Also, if a service loop is put in or wires are routed for easy change of switch location later it would be a minimal cost if there was ever a need or as a selling point if you ever sell.

Good luck,

Paul

« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 06:45:48 PM by paulb662000 »

windjunkie

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2009, 06:27:54 PM »
Wow Random,

Sounds like you have my house mostly built. I like your style.

I was thinking of running fairly large diameter pipe to my gen shed, I know where to get 6 foot culvert for cost, or even a shipping container. It would be easy to run new lines and maintain everything, plus I wouldn't have to go outside to get at my generator/batteries. I am planning a root cellar type setup for the house and under the gen shed would be storage for all of the stuff that comes with maintaining the electrical side of an off grid house.

Plus I get to put a book case in front of it! Nobody would suspect a bookcase in a root cellar right? With the only book in it being War and Peace...

« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 06:27:54 PM by windjunkie »

brushycreek0

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2009, 08:09:54 PM »
Heres a couple of links.  Im considering building a block house with surface bonding cement.  I think its a neat way of building.

http://www.omniblock.com/

http://www.quikrete.com/ProductLines/QuickwallSurfaceBondingCement.asp

« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 08:09:54 PM by brushycreek0 »

Blutoy

My shop ( A man without a shop is just a man. )
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2009, 01:36:41 PM »

« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 01:36:41 PM by Blutoy »

cyplesma

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2009, 06:39:01 PM »
Broken,

if your not already using, try the following when laying on the cold concrete.

pieces of plywood or OSB at least two feet by four feet.

Some thick carpet might work as well. Don't pay good money for it so it can get oil/grease and what not on it. You might find some nice pieces of carpet in the dumpster behind any of the carpet dealers nearby.

I don't have a garage at all and do my car maintenance on dirt driveway. during emergency repairs (things I gotta do when I can't afford to take it to the shop during the winter, lots of snow usually) is use a tarp and lay an old blanket on the tarp. Course I got winter overalls then too.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 06:39:01 PM by cyplesma »

dave101

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2010, 12:32:00 PM »
We will be transferring to a small property we got from a bidding and reading all your tips here is indeed a great help since we are planning on remodeling the house into our dream house.

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2010, 12:59:11 PM »
Hi,

This is a great site for such issues:

http://www.greenbuildingforum.co.uk/

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

bob g

• 8.8kwatt idi diesel thermal conversion unit
    • microcogen.info
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2010, 01:03:03 PM »
design everything possible for level entry, and doorways wide enough for a wheel chair
anywhere you cannot have level entry plan ahead for ramps, none of us is getting any younger
and you don't know what injury might make your dream place a nightmare to live in.

concrete slabs

if you are building on one, make sure the contractor insulates the slab from the ground, this is very important
and often an item that is ignored or passed on... if you are in a colder climate you will hate cold floors as you get older.

in the shop, make sure that the center of the floor is either crowned or has sufficient drop for snow melt and other sources of water
to either make it to the rollup door or a floor drain, nothing like a floor that sags over time only to form lake superior in the winter.

set aside a section of the floor that is as dead level as is possible, this will be your jigging area for fabrication, floor anchors are great
as are sockets for post mounted equipment that can be moved about.

roofs

i like metal roof material, because it allows for cleaner rain water collection, none of us knows what is in store when it comes to our wells,
or other water sources, might as well plan ahead for the possibility, and have a tank buried to collect it, if for no other reason that to flush the toilet and provide for fire protection should the shop be well away from a good water source.  snow seems to slide off easier from a metal roof as well.

siting

there is so much to be said for proper siting of any building, take advantage of the suns power to heat is a no brainer, but also site to either protect or take advantage of prevailing winds, shade from tree's in the summer etc.  far easier to work within the constraints of mother nature than to forever do battle with her, knowing you will never win.

mechanical systems

take advantage of common wall design techniques and have the plumbing and wiring put in with service in mind, assume that periodically
something will have to be serviced by an old broken down man and plan accordingly.  nothing worse that plumbing that is inaccessible by all
but a contorsionist or someone with 5 foot long skinny arms with 17 elbow joints and an eyeball on the end of each finger.  i am the son of a
plumber electrician, so i know of what i speak.

size

work on a house floorplan that has a central core, one which you can retreat to as you get older, the outer laying rooms are then shut down
and provide more buffer to the elements. too often you see old folks with huge houses that have migrated to the core 500sq/ft of the house
in order to contain costs, keep from freezing in winter or burning up in the summer. because of not being designed for such migration the
homes are often tarped off or plywooded over to keep down drafts.  remember the kids only come home on the holidays for a few years
thereafter when they have families of their own they will be trading off holidays with the inlaws, and sometimes just staying home at their place.
so think long and hard about building and maintaining bedrooms that likely will never be used, but you will have to heat/cool and pay taxes on.

bob g
research and development of a S195 changfa based trigenerator, modified
large frame automotive alternators for high output/high efficiency project X alternator for 24, 48 and higher voltages, and related cogen components.
www.microcogen.info and a SOMRAD member

rjames

« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2010, 02:28:09 PM »
All great ideas...

Ditto on the pex tubing in the floor. I put it in the floor of my shop 5 years ago and every year my wife complains
that at 55 degrees in the shop it feels more comfortable than the house at 70 (forced air). I think it's just the 80' walk in the cold to see what I'm up to out there.

On the house...

If you build it super airtight, also consider an air to air exchanger to the outside for your health. 
The wind blows wherever it pleases.

jlt

« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2010, 07:31:59 PM »
add a passive solar heated wall,also put radiant heating pipes in the floor.also a floor drain would be handy to have.