Author Topic: Artesian Well Generator  (Read 20764 times)

Ken

Re: Artesian Well Generator
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2005, 09:39:30 AM »
Well I made a huge investment in the squirrel cage /PM motor I found on the internet http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2005032008313450&item=1623&catname=electric for $6.95.... It will at least provide me a quick opportunity to set up a generator and see the real specs that come fom this overflow. (I.E. the efficiency I can get from this type of squirrel cage set-up.)

As you mentioned, I can always change the motor later with a better specd one to increase efficiency.

I now need to know about regulation. I have seen alot of cheap "Solar Panel" 7 Amp regulators that can handle up to 105 watts, but am concerned that they may not be able to shunt off the extra power and they may simply "turn off the charging rate and prevent reverse curent flow.

Fo a 50 watt system I don't want to spend alot, but I would like down Voltage conversion (Variable voltage output expectred from the Hydro Generator) and to maximize the output curves to the batteries like with a Mppt system and the possiblity to shunt the power to a DC lighting system to make good use of those few extra watts.

Can you recommend a really low power system that is reasonable priced (Or buildable)

Thanks

Ken

P.S. I am not interested in the store and generate option as that would require investment in additional storage capability, & intervention to operate. This water has to flow constantly (As failure to allow the flow results in excess pressure on  the well head, overflowing, and possible "catastrophic" blowing of the well head due to the pressure build-up.)

« Last Edit: March 21, 2005, 09:39:30 AM by Ken »

Ken

« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2005, 07:14:25 AM »
I found a Charge Controller by Trace (35 amp) http://shop.altenergystore.com/itemdesc~ic~XANC35~eq~~Tp~.htm

Any comments ?

Any recommendations ?

« Last Edit: March 22, 2005, 07:14:25 AM by Ken »

Hank

« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2005, 07:44:48 AM »
Ken,

These are good controllers but may be a bit of an  overkill for you, price wise.

Before I would invest this money in a charge controller I would build my alternator/generator and measure the output.

If you will only be getting 2-3 amps and have a couple of batteries connected in parallel you probably won't need a charge controller as this will be analagous to a trickle charge.

Hank

« Last Edit: March 22, 2005, 07:44:48 AM by Hank »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2005, 04:55:21 PM »
I agree with Hank. Way too big / expensive.

Something important.

Many smaller solar controllers 'open' the circuit between the genny and battery.  The genny will speed up. The volts will rise, a lot, with no load.

This will probably exceed the working voltage of the solar controller, and fry it.

There are quite a few home brew controllers floating around the board.

I recommend searching here for "dump load", "dump control", etc.

The simplest I ever saw was just a zener diode controlling a mosfet, that fed a large resistor. 3 pieces, $5 (?).  Easy. Never built it, but it looked OK, probably great for this.

The genny would need to be done to figure the resistor size.

G-

« Last Edit: March 22, 2005, 04:55:21 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Vernon

« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2005, 12:02:51 AM »
Before deciding on a regulator I would determine the voltage and current at which the unit will develop maximum power. The hydrodynamics of the pipe and nozzle and the aero drag of the spinning fan may effect this. I would then build an efficient step up or step down switching regulator to transfer this power at a standard voltage (eg 14.2). As an example, say you get maximum power at 8V, above that the combination of nozzle velocity and air loss reduce the output. You may find that you can get 15V but have little capacity to deliver any current at that speed. In that case you build a step up switching regulator ...

http://www.linear.com/pc/productDetail.do?navId=H0,C1,C1003,C1042,C1031,C1115,P8850

and convert the 8V to 14.2 with minimum loss. I think that the fan, with all those blades hanging in air, will provide sufficent braking to prevent serious overspeed if load drops off. If it does not I would provide a latching solenoid valve (they are available, latching avoids a continuous use of power) to turn the water off on the increasing motor voltage that would signify excess RPM. Assuming that you are going to have a 12V battery and 120VAC inverter setup - to make use of the energy, you could also, at a point below where the water shuts off, turn on a 60W light bulb inside the house in winter, thereby helping with heat. In the summer DC current could be supplied to a thermo electric cooler and heat removed from the house. These loads could be applied until battery voltage dropped to a setpoint and then removed to allow recharge. Ultimately if you can develop a steady 50 watts I would consider building a small synchronous inverter to deliver it to the AC line ... slightly decreasing your electric bill.  

I think I would cut the blades on the fan down to about 1/2 inch, that would make a better pelton wheel and get rid of a lot of unnecessary air drag and possible interference with water splashing off the blades.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2005, 12:02:51 AM by Vernon »

Ken

Re: Artesian Well Generator "Inverter"
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2005, 07:17:41 AM »
Well, I just so happened to bump into a clearance sale at Canadian tire for a Xantrex 1000 watt modified sinewave inverter. $89.00 cdn.

It has a surge capacity of 2000w and maximum load of 1250 watts (intermittent) load.

I recognize it's not a full sine wave output but I think it will be alright for emergency power generation for those "Ice Storm" power failures that may require temporary power to our oil furnce for heat.

I have rec'd specifications from the Furnace Manufacturer and they denoted that the full running current is 950 watts for the burner and fan motor (AC 4 Speed) but they were not able to confirm that it wouold function properly with a modified sine wave controller. (Does anyone there know if this should function propertly)

What do I have to be careful of running off this modified sine wave.

(The only warnings from the user amnual are not to use small appliances like Electric Shavers, and Small transformers like for "Electric Screwdrivers")

Note: I intented to have a interrupter switch to enable this inverter to power most of the house, and need to know what MUST be disconnected to prevent potential device/appliance failures.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2005, 07:17:41 AM by Ken »

Ken

Re: Turbine Blades
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2005, 09:09:39 AM »
Excellent idea.

The friction loss from the blades may use up all the power generated.

I'll cut the blades as recommended.

Thanks

« Last Edit: March 30, 2005, 09:09:39 AM by Ken »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Artesian Well Generator "Inverter"
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2005, 08:53:58 AM »
Some will not agree, but I plug everything into inverters.

Keep in mind most of it is for a temporary setup.

A laptop, a couple printers, some cell phones and cordless tools are about all we use permanently with inverters.

I seem to recall a discussion about induction motors possibly running hotter on an inverter.  We run some cheap tools, like belt sanders, etc. only from inverters, but we don't use them often enough to know any long term effects.

The only thing I can personally recall being 'damaged' is a fancy Craftsman drill battery charger, and I'm not sure it was the inverter. I was not present, it was not mine and it was heavily used. Maybe it was the chargers time to go.

For the small transformers, get a smaller inverter anyway.  The bigger inverters will use up more power than the transformers are using. Something like 300~400 watts. Cheap and portable too (I use a 5 pound battery and 400w Vector inverter for the telephones when the power goes out. Up and running in 3 minutes).

G-

« Last Edit: March 31, 2005, 08:53:58 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Ken

Rising River delay
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2005, 12:34:52 PM »
Hi Guys. I am back. Sorry for the absence on the site but this is the first year we  have been living on the property and we are learning alot about water flow. The ottawa river has risen about 4 ft. with the recent rains and snow melt, and consequently the output pipe is now beneath some really cold water. I'll need to raise the pipe to ensure it doesn't go that far to avoid it being flooded by the rising river. In addition it looks like the well cap is not sealed sufficiently and as a result backflow is occurring at the well head causing overflow. (Note: The water level rising has caused a signicicant increase in water flow as well (Good News for power generation) but I have to find a way to better cap the well to prevent overflow.

Found a company called www.pipeplug.com that has some great stuff for sealing pipes.

Looks like I'll be purchasing something soon as the well head overflow is now eroding my property...

Anyone knowing where I can get a good plug cheap would be appreciated.

Not this is a well head so it required the power leads to run through the plug (Somehow).

« Last Edit: April 30, 2005, 12:34:52 PM by Ken »