Author Topic: Opting off the grid  (Read 3605 times)

clyde01

Opting off the grid
« on: June 23, 2008, 03:38:36 PM »
The recent tremendous energy cost increases are forcing all of us to rethink our priorities. Being retired and on a fixed income I keep wondering what I can do to contol the escalating costs of power.  

One of the possibilites I have is to tap into a water resource resting at my door step.  A rapidly flowing stream crossing my acreage, runs very close to my home. I would like to be able to harness the power of this fast flowing stream by generating electricity for my home.

Where can I seek out information on developing this resource. I've posted a short video of the flowing stream on Youtube.  YOUTUBE VIDEO

Being a newbie to this site which I discovered only last night I would appreciate any information you may provide.

Clyde  
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 03:38:36 PM by (unknown) »

DigitalMind

Re: Opting off the grid
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 03:30:50 PM »
well you're at the right place that's for sure !

Considering you say you just found this site last, my advise is to read, read and read.  You should be able to stay busy learning stuff for atleast a week !  (Read OTHERPOWER.COM )

Then come back and ask specific questions.  You're lucky to have that stream nearby and yes it can generate lots of power for you.

Good luck and happy learning ! :)

« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 03:30:50 PM by DigitalMind »

spinningmagnets

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 04:32:41 PM »
Start a couple of blank documents and copy/paste all the links and stories you find that sound like they might apply to your particular site. Meybe one doc for stories on batteries, chargers, and inverters, etc.

Another doc with applicable info on hydro wheel/turbine stories that match your water performance profile.

Click on the "Hydro" section, and read every story from now, going back the last two years.

How much elevation difference is there from the highest part of your water (on your property) to the lowest part of the stream? this is the water drop, called "head" height.

How long is the water run you have authority over?

How fast is the flow (measure 100 feet and count how many seconds it takes a ball to float down that length), and how much volume of flow do you have? (measure average width and depth times speed, convert to gallons per minute).

Do you want to charge a battery pack that will power a 120 VAC television and lights through an inverter? How many kilowatts does your current electric bill say you use monthly now? Describe the loads you wish to power so component size can be calculated.

Are you allowed to raise a 60-foot tower to add a wind-gen later?

Have your wife put a moist cloth on your forehead, now that your brain is overheating from all the questions....

Also, what region of what country/state are you in? (steam begins rising from clyde01's head)

« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 04:32:41 PM by spinningmagnets »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 06:55:06 PM »
Looks like almost free air conditioning to me. Pump the water into the house through a car radiator with a fan blowing through it.

Just a couple of things you should know . . .

It costs more to make your own power than to buy it from the grid

It is way cheaper to invest in conservation of power, than to by an RE system

To make good power from water you need a large difference in elevation (head)

« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 06:55:06 PM by wooferhound »

terry5732

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 12:06:30 AM »
Or a high flow volume
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 12:06:30 AM by terry5732 »

getterdone

• living off grid
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 09:38:06 AM »
whow! a stream with flowing water. your a lucky guy. 24/7 charging capicity. your at the right sight. thease guys [on this sight] are full of info. read every thing here and you will with a little work and investment be on your way to self sustainable life. whow!! a flowing stream.     have fun.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 09:38:06 AM by getterdone »

Chuck

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 09:43:39 AM »
Hi Clyde,

Your originally stated goal is to get off the grid. This can be a challenge, depending on your use of electricity. I hope you're not expecting it to be cheap or easy.

The first step is to evaluate your use.

1. How many Kilowatt hours do you use a month ?

2. Where can you cut back on use ?

Then evaluate your resources.

1. You have a stream, can you determine an

estimate for how much power is available

there ?

2. Do you have much wind ? same as above.

3. Do you have much unshaded sun light ? ditto.

Then evaluate your finances and spare time.

1. Can you afford Solar panels plus

Charger/Battery/Inverter to replace your

electrical use ?

2. ditto for Water turbine,

3. ditto for Wind generator/tower.

4. Are you mechanically inclined ? Doing it

yourself can be fun if you are.

There's also heating (and cooling) space and water and the really big one, transportation.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 09:43:39 AM by Chuck »