Author Topic: Banki planned for spring installation  (Read 2915 times)

401Kamp

Banki planned for spring installation
« on: January 30, 2009, 06:10:32 PM »
Hello all,

My name is Gus and I've frequented your site form time to time to gain knowledge of AE set ups. My thanks go out to all of the people who use the site and more over thanks to the people who created and maintain it.

I've got an off grid home/camp that I spend a lot of time in during the summer and fall. I'm powering it with 350 watts of solar and back up generator when needed. It's a 24vlt system and works well but I could use more power, especially when it's rainy and in the fall hunting season when my MPI monitor heater is running. I've got plenty of battery just not enough generation.

I plan to add a Banki turbine to a stream that runs right behind the camp this spring. The stream varies in flow from 50gmp and tops out around 300gmp during wet season. It may spike to 400gmp but only after a heavy rain.

I can achieve 6-8 ft of head if I go out about 120ft away from the camp and aprox. 10 ft if I go out 300ft. I'm hoping to use 4 in SDR pipe to construct the delivery of the water to the turbine. And I'd like to only go the 120 ft from camp if I can.

I've looked at a lot of the postings for Banki turbines but I don't understand how the sizing calculations are done to achieve the best(efficiency)turbine diameter and length. If anyone could help I would be grateful.

I bought Hugh Piggott's book that you folks sell for building the home made wind mill and I figured I could use the information in it to build the stator and rotors for my Banki turbine but again I am not sure what rpms I will be running at.

I plan to build the stator with 9 coils and bring out 6 leads to give me options of delta or y connectivity. I also plan to bring the power from the Banki to the camp in 3ph and rectify it in my utility room and then send it into a charge controller from there. I was thinking of using a C-40. That's what I am using on the solar array and I figured if one fails I can always swap temporarily until I get a replacement. I also thought if needed I could add a transformer to buck the AC voltage up if needed but I would rather not if I could help it.

Can anyone shed some light on what I could expect from RPM, what the dia. and length of the rotor should be, what size wire and number of turns should go into my coils. I hope I put enough information into the post. Thanks ahead of time for any responses.

401kamp

« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 06:10:32 PM by (unknown) »

LeissKG

Re: Banki planned for spring installation
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 07:05:56 AM »
CD3WD is a website collects information about alternative energy and more

http://www.cd3wd.com/CD3WD/

if you put "banki turbine" in the field "Additional exciting searches"

you will get some information including a construction manual for a banki

turbine.

Klaus Leiss

« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 07:05:56 AM by LeissKG »

scottsAI

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 07:00:16 PM »
Nice link.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 07:00:16 PM by scottsAI »

Lowhead

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 10:26:45 AM »
This site should take you to the Oregon State University paper on Banki.  I think it was an attempt to translate the original Mitchell/Banki paper that was written in German.  I believe there is a running battle over who actually invented it first. There was a site run by someone named Uncle Joe Cole that simplified this paper but I didn't find it in my first Google attempt.  I was going to build a crossflow but for my low head situation I didn't want to lose the head that is unused (1/2 the radius).  There are some commercial Crossflow units like the Ossbereger that capture it.  I went with an LH1000 from ES&D instead.

http://agungchynta.files.wordpress.com/2007/03/crossflow-turbine.pdf

Low head

« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 10:26:45 AM by Lowhead »

401Kamp

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 02:45:21 PM »
Thanks to all for the links. I was hoping to find something simple in the reading like a cross reference chart that would recommend turbine dia. and width based on GPM and flow but I did not stumble across one. Still all good reading so far. My current plan is to make it 12 inches in dia. and roughly 12 inches wide and use 4 inch conduit quartered for the runners like the machine shown on this site. I've got what I feel is an improvement for the rotor and stator mounting over what I've seen and I can place pics of it online or email them to others that are interested once it's built. Still not sure what I'm using for coil wire size or turns yet, I need to charge my 24vlt bank and I don't think I'll get the rpm that the wind mills get so I plan to add a few more turns to the coils vs the windmill plans. I was even thinking of using a 12 coil stator and a 16 magnet rotor to get more out of it than the original design. Does anyone think this may stall the Banki? I still want to go 3 phase so it's either 9 or 12 coils. Thanks again for any advices.

401Kamp

« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 02:45:21 PM by 401Kamp »