Author Topic: My first wheel  (Read 2232 times)

Peppyy

My first wheel
« on: April 19, 2005, 01:17:58 AM »
The past couple days I have been putting in a garden pond. I have had a little wishing well for years so I put an overflow tube into the side of it and was going to build a little waterfall into the pond. Well That idea changed last night when I decided to try my hand at building a small waterwheel.

The whole family went shopping yesterday at the "Depot" and we tried to find some sort of waterproof material to build it from. I was about to give up when they talked me into building one out of Plexiglass. Here Is what I came up with.

I forgot to take any photos until it was almost done. I cut 2- 16" circles with my jigsaw and sanded the edges. I then ripped 2- 3" wide strips and cut them into 32- 2 inch pieces. These were glued together into L shapes for the cups. I used plumbers goop to glue it together with.

The first test.

These are the temporary hanger brackets made out of some scrap 3/8" copper tubing. I am planning on building a set from 1/4" steel rod with an S shaped water catcher. I can't tell you how cool this wheel is when it is in the sun. Fun project for around $40 worth of material. :)

« Last Edit: April 19, 2005, 01:17:58 AM by (unknown) »

hobot

Re: My first wheel
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005, 07:28:52 PM »
Right on! What a delighfut pumper outter of healing splashing

flashing motion, thanks.

hobot

« Last Edit: April 18, 2005, 07:28:52 PM by hobot »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005, 07:33:58 PM »
so now you can hook up a generator to it and power the pump with it.

Right ?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2005, 07:33:58 PM by wooferhound »

henjulfox

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2005, 09:20:56 PM »
I kinda like the "temporary" bracket. Lots of character...

-Henry

« Last Edit: April 18, 2005, 09:20:56 PM by henjulfox »

picmacmillan

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2005, 05:49:30 AM »
looks real nice peppy, might have to  do something like that myself at my beaver pond, that is until the beavers see it and bury it into there wall of mud and sticks.. :)...good job it sure looks nice and will add some flare to the pond..pickster
« Last Edit: April 19, 2005, 05:49:30 AM by picmacmillan »

nothing to lose

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2005, 08:32:28 AM »
Wow that is neat, I bet when the sun hits it it has a really great prism rainbow effect too. And the mounting tubes do give it a bit of charactor.

I never know exactly where I want to do some future planned digging here, so I never have put in my little fish pond I keep planning to build some day. It will be into the base of a small hill and I plan to pipe water uphill so it looks like a spring feeding the pond. I may build your plexy wheel for it too. Will be facing the sun anyway.

If that is making a good splashing scattering the water into the pond it should be real good for keeping the water aired up too. Important for keeping fish alive.

I like yours much better probably than what I had planned. Was going to use old food cans cut in half down the sides for the cups and fasten to sheet metal wheels. All chromed and brass plated, since I can plate them myself. But I think I like your plexy one better.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2005, 08:32:28 AM by nothing to lose »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2005, 01:27:45 PM »
Round 'blades' would hold more water and possibly splash less.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2005, 01:27:45 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller