Author Topic: Hydro power in the Amazon  (Read 7544 times)

BigBreaker

Re: Hydro power in the Amazon
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2006, 03:46:02 PM »
Definitely the fridge if it uses a traditional compressor.  Otherwise your needs are tiny.  You should definitely come up with more gadgets!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2006, 03:46:02 PM by BigBreaker »

willib

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2006, 05:42:46 PM »
on that small 3foot waterfall , is the flow like that all year?

can you dam it up?

if so you could use a different type of hydro power that i've been thinking about.you could stretch a long shaft across the length of the dam and put in a few or many smaller water wheels on the main shaft .It will give you a lot of torque, for a given size of wheel..
« Last Edit: January 04, 2006, 05:42:46 PM by willib »
Carpe Ventum (Seize the Wind)

Greeno1645

« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2006, 07:04:50 PM »
The flow is always like this on this waterfall.  In this area of rainforest, you can tell from the amount of erosion of the rocks that the water is flowing over.

Streams that fluctuate in water flow have a tendancy to cut deep ravines in the sandstone (the most abundant stone in the area).  In this photo, there are no deep cuts into the stone and the stones are more rounded - less fluxtuation.

Regarding the idea of shaft going the full width of the stream - I'd prefer not to obstruct the entire flow of the stream.  That's not to say that damming the river is not an option - it most certainly is.  It's just not my first choice - don't yet know the environmental impact of doing something like that.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2006, 07:04:50 PM by Greeno1645 »

Greeno1645

« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2006, 07:45:26 PM »
'Pretend there are no limits, what do you ideally desire?'

Okay...you asked for it.

During '94-'96, I worked running eco-tours in the Amazon.  My background was in aviculture (I raised / studied endangered birds for a zoo in the US)and my prior experience working for the Appalachian Mountain club earned me the chance to run a company at the age of 24 yrs.

Since then I've learned that while eco-tourism has it's plusses, many companies preach but don't practice conservation.  Little to no effort is made to compost / recycle / conserve - without gettting into a rave, ecotourism has its dark side.

On the plus side, ecotourism generates awareness and provides income for a limited number of locals who either work for these companies or sell products to the the company or their passengers.  My opinion is that it simply doesn't provide enough economic benefit to the local folks to make a concerted effort to conserve and protect their amazing living resource - The Amazon Rainforest.  The same could be said about our efforts here in the US (ironically).

I'm raving....let me get back to my grand vision....

The bottom line for me in my book of 'things to do before I croak' is to develop a lodge/research center that not only provides a great wilderness experience for interested travelers (tourists), but also to have a fully functional, self sustaining research facility.  I'd even like to somehow get the whole project on to a streaming on-line website - sort of a JungleVision type deal where people could see real time what we're doing, animals we're seeing.  Even a live chat where people can ask questions about the forest, conservation, etc.

The focus of the research would be both the education and study of the flora and fauna, but also the development of businesses that are environmentally sound and provide a more consistent and wide spread economic benefit.  Perhaps even develop an international organzation to help operate the facility, rather than trying to do this as a private entity.

I have lots of ideas, but not nearly enough capital to go forward with all of them at once.  So, at this point in time, I think if I start small by just getting power to the site, I can expand relatively quickly from that point on.

This post has really grown beyond my greatest expectations - THANK YOU! I want everyone to know that I'm still considering everyones input on this as I have time to make / change my mind on which approach to go with.  So, please keep writing and asking questions.

Just so everyone knows, my time frame is to build my first cabin by April 1st 2006, then get power put in by June.  From there, I will add a 'guest' cabin every few months then eventually a central facility that will include a large kitchen / dinning room and study/research lab.

During the construction period, I hope to invite 'experts' and others willing to lend a helping hand who have time and knowledge to contribute towards the construction.

At some point, if you all wish to continue to discuss the details of this idea, should we start a new post?

« Last Edit: January 04, 2006, 07:45:26 PM by Greeno1645 »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2006, 08:34:24 PM »
Greeno;

At some point, if you all wish to continue to discuss the details of this idea, should we start a new post?

That is pretty much exactly why we have a Diary section. You can post ongoing updates there and keep track of them relatively easily by adding them to your hotlist.

Just an idea.

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: January 04, 2006, 08:34:24 PM by TomW »

elvin1949

« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2006, 12:37:16 AM »
 I looked at the pictures and see NO reason to build a dam. there are to many options other than getting all the power at any cost.do not disturb nature anymore than you have to.

I don't want to start here ,would take a week to say all i could about what i think about rapeing nature for man's good.

That said i see a lot of way's to develope that site without messing it up.

AHHHH i could go on for a week but won't.

later

Elvin
« Last Edit: January 05, 2006, 12:37:16 AM by elvin1949 »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2006, 07:03:05 AM »
More power is bigger and heavier.

Bigger alternator, batteries, inverter, wire...

More impressive looking to customs?

UPS or DHL may get item through customs with less hassle.

Some things don't work like it first appears they should.

A knee high dorm fridge VERY commonly takes MORE power than a full size fridge/freezer.

A CFL may not be a good choice for some uses, like a closet, maybe a bathroom.

Scott is right.

Adding cottages and people is going to want more power.

A CFL in each. More ice and cold beverages. Water pump running more. More camera batteries, camcorders, laptops... 1750W hair driers (LOL).

Where you will be charging the camera and camcorder once a week, tourists will have a battery powered camera stuck to their eye every waking moment. (I sure would)

Best to plan for expansion now.

I too am quite suprised this got so much interest.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2006, 07:03:05 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

willib

• SuperHero Member
How much water ?
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2006, 05:21:39 PM »
I didnt want to start a new thread sooo....

The  other day , i saw a waterfall about five feet across and at least ten inches of water cascading over the falls , is there a formula for claculating the amt. of water flow ?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2006, 05:21:39 PM by willib »

willib

• SuperHero Member
Re: How much water ?
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2006, 05:52:45 PM »
LoL 'claculating'

nobody knows ?

« Last Edit: January 11, 2006, 05:52:45 PM by willib »

scottsAI

« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2006, 11:21:04 PM »
Yes.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2006, 11:21:04 PM by scottsAI »

elvin1949

« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2006, 07:31:59 PM »
willib

I don't have the formula in front of me right now.

1. mile's from home BUT it is more power than you can use.
  2. ft wide 10 in. deep.

?-how much head [fall-drop].

if over 3 ft. i would be in hog HEVEN.

later

Elvin
« Last Edit: January 16, 2006, 07:31:59 PM by elvin1949 »

willib

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2006, 11:42:29 AM »
i went back and remeasured it ,( before i read your reply) with a stick this time , still about 5 feet across and 8" deep at the dam top ,  plunging   about  5 feet down  maybe even  6' or 8', i would have measured the height but didnt know it mattered ,it is amazing really.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2006, 11:42:29 AM by willib »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2006, 12:39:19 PM »
OK.  It has potential! Hog Heaven!

Fall is VERY important.  Like where 1' is almost useless, 4' could be great.  And there is going to be a big difference between 5' and 8'.  That's maybe why Green got so much attention with the "100' or more drop".

Flow is important too, but it seems very good.

By Ohio standards, you have the ocean falling over the grand canyon!

Google should bring up some various formulas.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2006, 12:39:19 PM by ghurd »

willib

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2006, 06:18:10 PM »
lol,

its  not far from the ocean ,if i look through the bridge i can see the ocean .

Under the train bridge in fact would make a real nice wind gen testing spot.because the wind gets funneled right under the bridge.

i learned that its called a weir. a flat top weir to be exact..

http://www.aquatext.com/calcs/weir%20flow.htm

but i dont think anyone really knows how much water is flowing over the weir just given the height and width of flow, becaus this link requires flow rate in meters/s.

so i dunno
« Last Edit: January 19, 2006, 06:18:10 PM by willib »

willib

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2006, 10:16:26 PM »
I have some satellite photos of the area.

close up , with descriptions

http://www.otherpower.com/images/scimages/2965/weir3.bmp

weir , bridge and atlantic ocean

http://www.otherpower.com/images/scimages/2965/weir2.bmp

a little farther out

http://www.otherpower.com/images/scimages/2965/weir1.bmp

« Last Edit: January 19, 2006, 10:16:26 PM by willib »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2006, 06:32:38 AM »
I thought you meant more like a stream.

Low Head Dams?  They are dangerous.

Thats about the only kind we have around here. They take people (and boats) every year. It usually takes a few hours to get the bodies out even though they might be just 20' from shore.

People stuck in 4' of water... I've seen all of that I care to.

http://sites.state.pa.us/PA_Exec/Fish_Boat/lowhd1.htm

« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 06:32:38 AM by ghurd »