Author Topic: 9" pipe 4 meter head, Any potential here ?  (Read 2203 times)

abhainnbeag

9" pipe 4 meter head, Any potential here ?
« on: May 10, 2006, 11:01:07 AM »
Hi to all on the forum

I am a newbie so as with all newbies (a lot of questions and no answers I am afraid) at least for a while anyway !

Its great to find a site of like minded individuals looking forward to exchanging information as soon as I learn a bit !

I  have a small stream running on 2 sides of my garden  (I own about 130 meters of riverbank)

For the past 4 months I have carried out a survey on the flow in the stream . (measuring the height of water at a given point every 5 days )

When I do a flow measurement I can correlate this flow info with the survey info to give me a idea of average yearly flow

I plan to do a flow measurement in the next few weeks. (that will be fun)

I know that I cannot calculate any energy potential without this valuable piece of information !

Winter will not be a problem (loads of water ) its summer I am a bit concerned about !

I wish to install a turbine that can give me in excess of 500W to make the project viable. I estimate  return on investment  in about 4 years approx if 500w is available

I will do most of the work myself as I am from an engineering background  but unfortunately not electrical nor hydro turbines

My strengths would be machining, welding, fabrication and civil work.

I have a good grasp of the whole principle but please excuse the rather fundamental questions you are liable to hear in my posts !

Without having the exact flow figures  I am pretty certain that I can fill a 230mm bore smooth plastic pipe that will have to run 130 meters having a head of 4 meters

I plan to dam the river upstream to create a 1meterr deep pool to guarantee the filling of the pipe

Is it possible for any of you to have a stab at the potential here. I am thinking Banki for the ease of manufacture and buying a motor as a generator with the correct sizing to match.

The turbine would be situated about 50 meters from my house and I want to generate 220v to minimise losses over that distance.

The power generated I will use to heat water. My house has under floor heating so a large reservoir of water ( energy storage) exists.

I will post a few pictures of the site as soon as I get a chance.

Please excuse if this is posted several times It's my first and even though I submitted it once or twice already , It has not come up !

Regards  Abhainnbeag    (Gaelic for little river)

« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 11:01:07 AM by (unknown) »

drdongle

Re: 9" pipe 4 meter head
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 05:17:50 AM »
Sounds like a Banki is just the ticket.

Where are you located?

« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 05:17:50 AM by drdongle »

abhainnbeag

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 06:42:46 AM »
I live in Ireland

In the midlands

A place called County Longford
« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 06:42:46 AM by abhainnbeag »

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 06:59:06 AM »
I might've missed something but all I heard was impounding the entire stream flow...

I believe the Ministry of Eeling, Minnows and Moss would make an example of you. Complete watershed catchment is only allowed on man-made water bodies w/o review and permit, besides bypass flow is really to help keep screens-filters clean.

If allowed 50% bypass at 4-seasons average flow then what volume can your catchment at the glen sustain?

-

« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 06:59:06 AM by DanG »

abhainnbeag

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2006, 07:18:54 AM »
Sorry about that

Didn't make my self absolute clear

I only plan to bypass less than half and possibly shut it down in July and August

My survey will tell me this

The stream is my gardens most important feature so I have no intention of leaving it as a dried up river bed

« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 07:18:54 AM by abhainnbeag »

abhainnbeag

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2006, 07:28:22 AM »
The flow in the stream is about right for this time of year.

When I get home this evening

I will take a few pictures and post them

See what ye all think  !

« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 07:28:22 AM by abhainnbeag »

Nando

Re: 9" pipe 4 meter head, Any potential ?
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2006, 11:58:20 AM »
Abhainnbeag:

If you assume that you have 4 meter head with a 230 mm pipe and that you will use around 100 liter/sec you may have 2.4 KW of electric power.

Water velocity for 4 meter head is 8.4 meter/sec and the pipe with open flow will provide close to 347 l/s.

I have not spent the time to do more precise calculation, but 2.4 to about 3.5 KW will be available to harvest from your source.

A Banki or a Turgo ( for low head running in full flow) driving an induction motor converted to a generator with capacitors for magnetic biasing will the the cheapest solution and a simple ON/OFF circuit to control the heaters as needed.

Of course in case of emergency you may be able to use the power source for your personal energy needs.

Regards and connect directly if you need additional info

Nando

« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 11:58:20 AM by Nando »

abhainnbeag

Re: 9" pipe 4 meter head, Any potential ?
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2006, 07:17:33 AM »
Hi Nando

I am unable to email you !

problem with your address

« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 07:17:33 AM by abhainnbeag »