Author Topic: Squirrel cage fan generators  (Read 3907 times)

icicle

Squirrel cage fan generators
« on: April 09, 2006, 01:57:34 AM »
I was just wondering if anyone has tried to build a cage fan standing up and down.

What I really mean is that the water comes in through the center hole then out the fins of the fan.

I seen a lot of you trying like a water wheel.

On paper it would seem that you could get twice the power when going from center out, cause you would be using more of fins.

I would like to know from more of you guys for more info or ideas about this.

thank you

« Last Edit: April 09, 2006, 01:57:34 AM by (unknown) »

zap

• There's an app for that
Re: Squirrel cage fan generators
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2006, 08:36:09 PM »
Interesting idea. How would you force the water to go through the fins, a cone with the point facing up?

« Last Edit: April 08, 2006, 08:36:09 PM by zap »

Titantornado

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2006, 08:59:46 PM »
I just visited a museum for 19th century machinery and tools.  It just so happens they had a grain mill there that worked the very way you are describing.  There was no "cone" to direct flow, and my guess is it probably wouldn't be needed. (though it wouldn't hurt)  I was thinking the "squirrel cage" impeller looked awfully small to generate sufficent torque for the grinding stone, but it must have worked.

Sounds like a do-able project.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2006, 08:59:46 PM by Titantornado »

icicle

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2006, 09:42:00 PM »
Zap,

The hole would on top so the water would hit the backing plate then out of the fins.

I would have a 6" pvc pipe for the intake with a T so the gennie would be on top side with the shaft running down the middle.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2006, 09:42:00 PM by icicle »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2006, 01:00:13 AM »
There were some early outward flow reaction turbines but they need guide vanes to work reasonably efficiently.

It would be better to turn it inside out and fit a casing with guide vanes round the outside to direct the flow into the cage. You would use a draft tube on the output to extract the water from the centre of the cage.

In this form it is a Thompson turbine and should give excellent results but would need a lot of water.

Flux

« Last Edit: April 09, 2006, 01:00:13 AM by Flux »

Vtbsr

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2006, 06:13:05 AM »
Hello icicle, You are describing a " francis turbine". Try a internet search for the term. These would be usualy found on low head , high flow sites. Example 18 ft head ,6 ft dia. penstock. The runner would have inside vanes that look like a j shape. The water falls through the center and hits the j shape and starts turning the runner. What is your site like? Head flow ect.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2006, 06:13:05 AM by Vtbsr »