Author Topic: HYDRO AND WIND MILL ASSISTANCE  (Read 1442 times)

Nando

HYDRO AND WIND MILL ASSISTANCE
« on: July 23, 2007, 02:23:19 AM »
I have had a massive hard disk failure today, the fourth hard disk in 4 months.

So, I have lost the email contacts of those that have been connecting with me for problem solutions.

Please, send me messages to reconnect and capture your email addresses

Nando

« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 02:23:19 AM by (unknown) »

scottsAI

Re: HYDRO AND WIND MILL ASSISTANCE
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 08:48:26 PM »
Hi Nando,

I know you did not ask, but like to be helpful:

I have had 20 computers running at the same time with fewer failures.

What are you doing to the HD?

Turning it on/off frequently will do it. I set one computer to turn off after 2 minutes, HD failed within 7 months. Checking the on/off cycles, exceeded design limits of HD.

Secondly, Hot HD cooling helps.

Good luck on your next.

Should I say anything about backups? I copy important data to another computer for backup.

If you have one, then a second disk works, considering how cheap they are, saves bunch of work later.

Lately started using external USB drives for backup, $70 for 120Gb, $130 for 500Gb.

Have fun, (Fake it for now)

Scott.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 08:48:26 PM by scottsAI »

thefinis

Re: HYDRO AND WIND MILL ASSISTANCE
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 07:04:23 AM »
If it is a software problem you might recover data with Reatogo. It is a good one for systems with a corrupted OS 2000/XP. I think it will see 98 ME drives too but not sure as the last 98 hard drive I worked on had a hardware problem and nothing could see it. Link:

http://www.reatogo.de/REATOGO.htm

It looks complicated but is really fairly simple to configure for burning a bootable copy.

There are some recovery data places in the DFW area but the one I talked to wanted to start at $500 after hearing it was most likely a hardware problem but would give free estimates after looking at the drive.

Any ideas on what is happening virus, worms, hardware, weather? I have been recommending that folks install a small hard drive 4-10 gig and backup their info on it as it is always there, very quick to do and if you can install it yourself very cheap to do. It seems we all know we should backup important files but few of us do it regularly.

Good luck

Finis

« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 07:04:23 AM by thefinis »