Author Topic: Magnetic help  (Read 1736 times)

thirteen

• Single going totally off grid 1,1, 2013
Magnetic help
« on: January 24, 2008, 01:01:26 AM »
I looked back into the files and found several different type of water wheel devices for water wheels there is even serveral things on magnetic driven motors  but never one together. I was trying to think if one could be made that would have water turning it and have magnets helping it turn. Creating electricity for the magnets to help boost the power within the electromagnetes. There would have to be a computor chip somewhere to control the electicial imputs for the magnets. Probably not doable but if I had a lathe I might try something like this.    
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 01:01:26 AM by (unknown) »
MntMnROY 13

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
Re: Magnetic help
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 07:39:50 PM »
You're trying to build an "over-unity" device - a type of perpetual motion machine.  Your "helper" would be pulling energy from nowhere - or from somewhere but trying to give back more than it took.  Oops!  Efficiency is always no more than 100% and virtually always less.

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics!" - Homer Simpson

« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 07:39:50 PM by Ungrounded Lightning Rod »

kurt

• website
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 07:57:02 PM »
we have some pretty strict rules about discussing overunity  on the board... as in normaly it is not allowed in any way shape or form do to problems we have had with overunity believers in the past but you have been here for a wile and seem to actually have a head on your shoulders so i am going to leave this for now in hopes that you learn something. but be warned if it gets out of hand it will be gone in a heartbeat.    
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 07:57:02 PM by kurt »

spinningmagnets

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 09:34:48 PM »
I doubt this will be possible (and I'm a fan of wacky ideas)

Passing the PMA electricity through electromagnets (in the armature of a custom permanent magnet motor-PMM) on its way to do work somewhere else, is like hooking up a generator to two motors when its struggling to power one. You want 100% of your watts to go into the battery.

IF electromagnets (similar to a car alternator armature) could help the wheel move faster, the water would then become a restriction.

As a general rule of thumb, Water wheels can be calculated to run at about 90% of the water flow speed. This can give you a rough idea of the RPM's per a given diameter of wheel so you can plan out the rest of the system. As soon as the wheel rim began spinning 101% of the flow speed (again, if possible), it would not be getting any work from the water.

It begs the question, is it possible to design an electric motor connected to a generator, so that if I start it by hand-cranking it, will the motor spin the generator fast enough to power the motor, and possibly even have some extra power left over to use for work. Its been tried by people with electromechanical degrees and research money.

I'm a handy guy, and I could build a wheel pretty cheap. I think a well-matched PMA with neo magnets and copper wire will be much more expensive than the wheel. I think the device you're suggesting would cost near as much as a PMA, so for the cost of two PMA's and one wheel, I'd get (at best, if even technically possible) 10% more rim speed.

Financially its a better deal to build two wheels and two PMA's for guaranteed double the power.

"Because of the writers strike, the only creative fiction being written these days is on income tax returns" -Jay Leno

« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 09:34:48 PM by spinningmagnets »