Author Topic: Question with AC power production  (Read 1462 times)

yatigo

Question with AC power production
« on: March 21, 2008, 01:15:18 AM »
Hi...First post here...

We are trying to set up a 4000 w micro-hydro turbine to run directly a number of heaters for some small huts. Left over energy will be used to charge batteries.

My question is this: Once the water flow in the stream goes down, and the turbine then produces less electricity (say, from 4000 w in January, to 3000 w in February), and then 8 huts all turn on their electric heater (each drawing 500 w) what will happen? Will it damage the turbine? Or will the heaters simply not work at full steam?

I hope my question isn't too simplistic for this group...as I suspect it wont be my last question.

Thanks for your help.

Yatiko.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 01:15:18 AM by (unknown) »

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
Re: Question with AC power production
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 12:13:10 AM »
Yatiko, it depends on the type of heater, if an electrical load is placed on a generator greater than the driving power then the generator will slow down. Frequency and terminal voltage will drop, now depending on heater type, if they are purley resistive, they will just produce less heat. The turbine will not be damaged but depending on the generator type it may be damaged by overheating, through several factors probally too deep in theory for this discussion.

Have you thought of two stage heating which you can control ie 250 watts x 2.

Hope that sheds some light on your question.

allan down under

« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 12:13:10 AM by wpowokal »
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.

yatigo

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 12:53:18 PM »
Thanks-you for your reply. Can I ask another question? What is the difference between a turbine, a generator and an alternator? Do we need all three in producing AC power? Do you need the same three in producing DC?

Thanks again for your time...

Yatiko.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 12:53:18 PM by yatigo »

jonas302

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 01:36:02 PM »
A turbine is usually the blades or water wheel often the entire generating assembly is refered to as the turbine

Generator produces dc voltage an Alternator produces ac voltage or alternating current both terms are used loosly to describe the electrical part of the setup

you only need one in your case an alternator  

« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 01:36:02 PM by jonas302 »