Remote Living > Lighting

Christmas Light using LED

(1/2) > >>

JYL:
In Canada, several store has started the sale of Christmas light that use LED.

I have a string of 50 LED (wired in series (may be 2 series))

* Blue

* Yellow (amber)

* Red

* Green

Actually, a string of red, yellow or mix color is pretty cheap at about 8.50$CDN.  The blue only double the price at 15.00$CDN.  Finally, you can get a string of 50 WHITE LED  for about 33.00$CDN.
Comparing to the real Christmas minilight:

* consume little -- 2W for 50 lights

* Not very bright ( a plastic diffuser is put on top of the LED.  Therefore the light get diffuse)

* Not all LED are exactly the same intensity.  The green LED offer little output when the blue are very bright.  The Yellow and Red has similar brightness(in middle of the pack).

* Unbelievable 200,000 Hrs replacement on defective LED but the wiring is not covered. (should I keep the invoice for my great grand son?).  Anyways, we can return them to the local store for one year (RONA in Quebec)

I will test drive a few set on "inverter" this year.  I don't know if that will work has advertised.

juiced:
I will be picking a few strings up soon. If anything, i will break the plastic off or melt it in acetone.
     So.. only 2 watts eh?! wow i didnt think it was that low.

iFred:

Cool! Are the blue lights really blue or and offset, does it mention by any chance what the MCD output is on the package. this is called the micro-candle-power. If they are 5,000 mcd it would be equvilent to like 5 candle power.

JW:
Ya, I just got some these, I think there great.
JW

JYL:
The blue seem the same color we often see on Car Alarm systems (usually a flashing blue light installed on the interior mirror).
No, there is no indication regarding the power output of the LED.  What we found on the boxes is how much better they are for the environment (Claimed 90% saving in electricity)
Furthermore, I am told that their is several models in different store: At least, RONA l'Entrepot but not always the smaller RONA, Costco and Canadian Tire.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version