Author Topic: Tell me about cold-cathode lights  (Read 4280 times)

tawa

Tell me about cold-cathode lights
« on: November 19, 2004, 01:44:49 PM »
Looking for info on building my own cold cathode light. What do I need? Sounds like they run off 12v, so I'd need a wall wart to plug into 110v US electricity, right?

Do they use AC or DC?

Do I need any other resistors, capacitors, etc?

I'd need a switch too.

Is there a website for CCF beginners?

I'd like to put some under a kitchen cabinet, or in a closet.

Thanks all.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2004, 01:44:49 PM by (unknown) »

drdongle

Re: Tell me about cold-cathode lights
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2004, 03:17:59 PM »
Cold Cathode Fluorescent lamps require a high voltage to operate, this can be supplied by a DC upverter power supply, which can be home built. CCF lamps do not put out a lot of light though. If you have a scanner for your computer it probably has a CCF Lamp. Most of the units I have seen available surplus are 5 watts or so.

Check out <www.allelectronics.com> they have CCFL's and power supplies for same.

Carpa Vigor

Dr.D

« Last Edit: November 19, 2004, 03:17:59 PM by drdongle »

nothing to lose

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2004, 05:27:07 PM »
Check out computer stores online! :)

Cold cathode light kits at bestbyte.net and come with everything you need except the 12V battery or power supplie.

http://www.bestbyte.net/Category.cfm?CategoryID=28&Keyword=

"Deluxe White Cold Cathode Light Kit w/ Dual Capable Boxed Inverter, $4.99"

Extra tubes cost $2.99

$5 flat rate shipping.

Specifications

Length: 12.25 inches of pure light.

Diameter: .25 inches

Encased in a 100% acrylic shell, enabling 360 degrees of light

Special coated 12V inverter for safety.

Average Current Demand +- 350mA at 12VDC.

Average Current Demand +
- 4.3w.

High-Quality Jam-Nut Switch installs quickly and Easily

Long Lifespan

I ordered here several times, not afilliated or getting any kick backs, just a good place to buy these things. Kinda high on other stuff, but fans, lights, and other mod type items there pretty good one normally.

I use them in vans and cars and such. Of course in custom computers I build also :)

I never tried the white, but a red one I had was very bright (more than I wanted at the time). I use the UVs alot and of course those don't make much light, just make my cables glow nicley.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2004, 05:27:07 PM by nothing to lose »

tawa

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2004, 01:48:55 PM »
Thanks for the info. I'm in the US. Is Bestbyte in the US also?

« Last Edit: November 22, 2004, 01:48:55 PM by tawa »

nothing to lose

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2004, 06:51:26 AM »
Yes, bestbyte.net is around Houston Texas somewhere as I recall. I have also ordered stuff from Directron.com (I think that's the correct spelling) also from around houston tx. They have alot of good prices also on most computer items, I think the lights were good prices, but I liked prices at bestbyte better for fans and lights and the flat rate $5 shipping.

Either place I been happy with, though I buy bigger items like cases, system boards ect.. from directron.

Most my stuff comes from newegg.com, but I do shop around for the best deals. Never been unhappy with any of those 3 for any reason yet and I buy ALOT.

I don't beleave in ONE STOP shoping normally, because every place has good deals on some items but too high on others, so I compare all the prices and total shiping cost  then order however it comes out best for me price wise.

Newegg.com is normally about the best for everything except small items but you have to watch out for shipping charges if it's not the free shipping, which most of my buys are free shipping from them, though now they do lot of $1 shipping instead of the free they were doing it seems.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2004, 06:51:26 AM by nothing to lose »

deerslayer660

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2004, 06:51:32 AM »
   12vdc 8 watt trouble light completly assambled and ready to use odd lots 4.99$
« Last Edit: November 27, 2004, 06:51:32 AM by deerslayer660 »

tawa

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2004, 06:20:48 AM »
Hi. I've got a Big Lots here also. Same chain as Odd Lots.

Thanks.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2004, 06:20:48 AM by tawa »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2004, 12:16:08 PM »
I had quite a few of these. They pulled about 400ma, or 5 watts (claimed 8w). I would guess they were about 25% as bright as a good quality 12v 11w CFL.

Wired a few in a shop. 2-3 hours a day use. All were dead in a month.

I didn't feel I got my $5 worth.

G-
« Last Edit: December 03, 2004, 12:16:08 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

tawa

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2004, 08:15:52 AM »
Hi,

I was looking for cheap 110vac convertors to 12vdc, and found some at www.allelectronics.com. They have a thing to convert to 12v with a cigarette lighter jack for about $6. Then for about $1 they have a cig lighter plug with wires. So, in Jan I will try to make a 12v LED light which can plug into a wall. Neat huh?

« Last Edit: December 06, 2004, 08:15:52 AM by tawa »

njfld

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2004, 11:39:55 PM »
Hi,

I'm Steven, from China P.R.C.

Our company is one of the professional manufacturer of Cold Cathode Lights and fittings in Nanjing city China.

So, if you have any need in CCFL,welcome to contact us at any time.

njfld@hotmail.com

www.njfld.com

« Last Edit: December 15, 2004, 11:39:55 PM by njfld »

tawa

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2004, 11:00:28 AM »
I also found a 110vac to 12vdc cig lighter adaptor for $3 at Big Lots. BAM! I grabbed one.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2004, 11:00:28 AM by tawa »

tcrenshaw

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2004, 07:52:37 PM »
I've been considering use of CCFL lamps instead the alternatives for efficient home lighting. I ordered a 24" CCFL lamp and 12v inverter from http://www.elwirecheap.com for $26.50 including shipping. I received the lamp yesterday so I haven't played with it a lot. I can say that the output of this one lamp is about the same at a 20 to 30 watt incandescent light. I run it off of an adapter with an output of 12v at .3A. This runs the lamp fairly bright and with no flicker. The CCFL lamp seems to be very efficient. The lamp color (white) is more a bluish color very much like the old fluorescent lights. Some people are bothered by this bluish color. It doesn't bother me. The level of light is fairly high for the amount of power being used. I haven't tried reading with this light yet but I don't expect any surprises. I plan on buying at least three more lamps and then I'll set them up to replace the four 40 watt incandescent lights in my bathroom. This'll be the second part of my testing to see if they will work as well as I hope. If they do work well then I'll be using them to replace many of the lights through out the house. The initial cost is high but the life of the lamp is 15 to 20,000 hours. I did get a kick out of connecting the lamp inverter directly to my 12v/40watt solar panel and it lit the lamp without any problem at all. In my future home in the back country these might be the only electric lamps in the house possibly with supplemental reading lamps of kerosene or oil. Only one caution, if you order from ElWireCheap, don't expect anything for customer service, they stink. They don't answer emails or phone calls. The order was delivered in 10 days including weekends and Christmas even though it had a two day shipping. During that time though I couldn't get an answer from anyone at ElWireCheap as to when the order was shipped. The product does seem to be fair quality. I may search for another merchant though.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2004, 07:52:37 PM by tcrenshaw »

ferry82

Introduce A useful B2B website of apparel.
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2006, 03:31:29 AM »
China Apparel & Accessories catalog and Apparel & Accessories manufacturer directory. Trade platform for China Apparel & Accessories manufacturers and global Apparel & Accessories buyers provided by Made-in-China.com.

Sports Caps

Warm Caps

Work Caps

Bandana Headband Cravat

« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 03:31:29 AM by ferry82 »

ferry82

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2006, 11:34:02 PM »

Apparel

China Apparel catalog and Apparel manufacturer directory. Import & Export Trade Platform for China Apparel manufacturers and global Apparel buyers provided by Made-in-China.com

Bag

China Bag catalog and Bag manufacturer directory. Import & Export Trade Platform for China Bag manufacturers and global Bag buyers provided by Made-in-China.com

Belt

China Belt catalog and Belt manufacturer directory. Import & Export Trade Platform for China Belt manufacturers and global Belt buyers provided by Made-in-China.com

Button

China Button catalog and Button manufacturer directory. Import & Export Trade Platform for China Button manufacturers and global Button buyers provided by Made-in-China.com

Cap

China Cap catalog and Cap manufacturer directory. Import & Export Trade Platform for China Cap manufacturers and global Cap buyers provided by Made-in-China.com

Crochet Hat

China Crochet Hat catalog and Crochet Hat manufacturer directory. Import & Export Trade Platform for China Crochet Hat manufacturers and global Crochet Hat buyers provided by Made-in-China.com

Dress

China Dress catalog and Dress manufacturer directory. Import & Export Trade Platform for China Dress manufacturers and global Dress buyers provided by Made-in-China.com

Dust Coat

China Dust Coat catalog and Dust Coat manufacturer directory. Import & Export Trade Platform for China Dust Coat manufacturers and global Dust Coat buyers provided by Made-in-China.com

Fashion Clothes

China Fashion Clothes catalog and Fashion Clothes manufacturer directory. Import & Export Trade Platform for China Fashion Clothes manufacturers and global Fashion Clothes buyers provided by Made-in-China.com

Footwear

China Footwear catalog and Footwear manufacturer directory. Import & Export Trade Platform for China Footwear manufacturers and global Footwear buyers provided by Made-in-China.com

Gloves

China Gloves catalog and Gloves manufacturer directory. Import & Export Trade Platform for China Gloves manufacturers and global Gloves buyers provided by Made-in-China.com

Gowns

China Gowns catalog and Gowns manufacturer directory. Import & Export Trade Platform for China Gowns manufacturers and global Gowns buyers provided by Made-in-China.com

Jacket

China Jacket catalog and Jacket manufacturer directory. Import & Export Trade Platform for China Jacket manufacturers and global Jacket buyers provided by Made-in-China.com

Jean

China Jean catalog and Jean manufacturer directory. Import & Export Trade Platform for China Jean manufacturers and global Jean buyers provided by Made-in-China.com

Necktie

China Necktie catalog and Necktie manufacturer directory. Import & Export Trade Platform for China Necktie manufacturers and global Necktie buyers provided by Made-in-China.co
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 11:34:02 PM by ferry82 »

fungus

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2006, 06:16:33 AM »
can someone please delete all this spam and this comment
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 06:16:33 AM by fungus »