Author Topic: What kills CFLs?  (Read 8873 times)

nothing to lose

Re: What kills CFLs?
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2005, 04:03:22 PM »
I remembered this thread while working on a couple cars at the rock house last night :)

I was useing a cheap but nice plastic drop light ( $5 at wallmart) and a $4 CFL in it. It is half closed all the way around. Course this light is not used all the time like a normal house light would be, but the bulb is probably over a year old. I hang this light from a tree in the yard for a yard light often, it has been in hot and cold weather, as a work light under the vehicles it gets bounced around and rough treatment,  and of course it is always being turned on and off.

I am actaully suprised it still works. With a normal 75-100 watt bulb I would have blown a dozen or more, those little bumps blow bulbs fast. Also I was tired of getting burnt when I bump into the drop light using the metal ones and the plastic ones melt from a normal bulbs heat. So far replacing the bulb has saved back the cost of a CFL bulb just with how many other bulbs I would have went through already, savings in power usage is great also since I run it off an inverter and battery.

I wonder how long this one will actaully last. No way to judge the hours, but it stands up to abuse pretty well :)

« Last Edit: October 15, 2005, 04:03:22 PM by nothing to lose »

froggie

Re: What kills CFLs?
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2005, 09:21:05 AM »
I like cfls, but not when they have a less or same lifespan as incandecent. I guess I'll have to do a few tests on it on temperature and moisture if I get a chance.

Although lower lifespan CFLs can be annoying, I've still yet to see one last less than a filament incandescent bulb.

Since switching to CFLs a few years ago, the whole concept of changing a bulb seems alien, we've never actually had one die, just get smashed if someone carrying a ladder isn't paying attention. That's actually happened twice...

You've got to consider the total energy used during that time as well.

Ooh and we just upgraded our 20W CFL in the computer room to a 23W 'daylight' CFL - nice and bright and keeps the winter blues away quite nicely :)

froggie

« Last Edit: December 30, 2005, 09:21:05 AM by froggie »