Remote Living > Lighting

12V versus 120V house wiring, CFL versus LED

(1/7) > >>

Speo:
Hello,
We just finished building a cottage in a remote area. Despite the fact that the power company is running the high voltage power cables almost above our roof, they will charge us an arm an a leg to hook us to the power system (the poles from nearest transformer -1 mile away, the wires, and the connection fee).
I am planning to use a small car battery bank (4*50 A - I guess cranking amps?) as I need power only for few CFL lights (1-2 lights at a time, 8-12W each, 1hr daily).
What is the best choice, to use directly 12V from the battery, or 120V through an inverter, or both (i already wired 2 parallel systems)? What are the pros/cons for these two systems? I heard about some cable loses for 12V, but I'm not sure about that. For 120V there are some power loses in the inverter that has to run the whole night.
In terms of light, would the LED lighting be good enough, or it is worse that CFLs? I saw on ebay some 12V or 120V bulbs with up to 40 LEDs inside. If I put a 12W CFL in the middle of the room, it would be enough light for me. Can I achieve the same thing with those LED bulbs?
Last year I built a small wind generator (check my home page) that kept a car battery charged for 1 year (no charge controller, no furling). As consumers, I used just 2 lights: 12V 8W CFLs few hrs per week. The gennie was damaged few months ago during 80 MPH winds. The magnets from the Ametek stator jumped on the rotor and stuck it. Probably it got hot and the glue melted...? I am planning to build a bigger-better one, add some solar panels and use a charge controller.
Thanks,
Speo

wdyasq:
http://www.otherpower.com/otherpower_lighting.html
Ron

willib:
LEDs give off a more directed light .

if all you need is general lighting i would go with  the small 6W fluorescent tubes ( they are cheep and easy to use )and are easily powered off of 12V..

MountainMan:
Some generalities (mostly obvious) about 120 vs 12V...
120 is more convenient in that you can plug other things in when needed (laptop, phone charger, electric blanket, etc.) without having extra adaptors and what not.
It would make the cottage seem less rustic, having "regular" power.  Up to you whether that is a good thing or a bad thing.

V is more efficient - no losses converting the 12V to 120V.
V is cheaper, no inverter to buy
V is theoretically safer, hard to electrocute yourself with 12V
V is a little bit simpler, thus a little less likely to fail

scottsAI:
12v is cheaper, no inverter to buy. Well maybe not.
True if you only need a total of two CF, more than two the inverter is cheaper.
I was designing the lighting in a large hunting lodge.

Original plan was to use 13 CF scattered about the place. Never expected more than 6 on at once.

I was using 12v CF until I checked the total cost.
12v CF cost $14 each or more.

Local store has 120v CF for $2 or so. I do not buy the $1. junk.
$28 buys a 350w inverter, mod sine, 120v CF work fine, using one right now.
Like MountainMan said, 12v is simpler.

The inverter has to run to be ready... when not there want to turn it off. Inverter may only draw 100ma no load, but 24 * 0.1 = 2.4ah. This load requires a 6w solar panel to supply just this stand by load.
The plan was to put one 12v CF in the entry way, this is always ready. Enter building, turn on the inverter.

The lodge had a large pole barn for equipment. Need to plant the crop for the deer. Needed 6 more CF for lighting, 12volts was just too far away. 100+ feet not a problem for 120v.
May I suggest you use golf cart batteries? The 12v car batteries are NOT deep cycle batteries, they will not last long in a deep cycle environment. Cost is less for two golf cart batteries (6v each @ $60ea) will have 225ah at 12v, beating the 4 12v 50ahr car batteries. Unless the car batteries are free?

Have fun,

Scott.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version