Remote Living > Lighting

LED's for task lighting?

(1/8) > >>

Mike in Utah:
Hi there,
I just signed up for this forum and may place this question in the wrong area.  Please forgive me if that is the case.
I want to make a task light for my lathe using super bright LED's.  I can design the circuit okay but don't know what LED's to use.  Can someone suggest a part number?
Thanks in advance...
Mike

willib:
Luxeon(tm) are the brightest available today , i believe..

http://www.luxeon.com/

ghurd:
Other companies are making similar LEDs now.

They are bright, but not efficient. A 'regular' bulb can do better.

LEDs last longer if that's important.
The 5mm LEDs are more efficient, cheaper per lumen, and will last longer than the high power LEDs.

I'd suggest a 40 degree 5mm.

Don't push them too hard, maybe 15ma. Heat kills.
If efficiency is the goal, use twice as many LEDs at half the amps each. It will be brighter with the same power.
Measure the amps. Generic internet LED math is usually wrong by a long way, overpowering the LEDs, meaning a much shorter life, and not as efficient.

Start at 3.2Vf calculated circuit design for modern white 5mm LEDs.
If it's too good (cheap) to be true... It's junk.

G-

Mike in Utah:
Thanks for the responses so far!
I notice that super bright LED's have a rating from lets say 500 mcd to 18000 mcd.  Should I buy the highest rated mcd ones to get my desired "brightness"?  I'm confused because the 500 mcd one cost only a few cents less than the 18000 mcd ones.
Thanks...

ghurd:
You need to know the viewing angle too. AKA- 'two theta one half'. 20 degrees is standard.
Thats how it is focused.

Like a 'mag-light'. The bulb is just as bright as it is. If it is set for a tight focus it is very bright, and reaches a long way.  If it set for a wide focus, it 'seems' not as bright and doesn't reach out very far.

It is making the same amount of light, just putting it in different places.

The bulb did not magically get brighter!
About 8000mcd is around standard for good LEDs at 20 degrees now. 3-4000mcd is good for 40 degrees.  Premium LEDs are higher mcds, but they are hard to get.
Surplus houses often list the MCDs of premium LEDs while selling seconds, or list the 'max mcds' instead of typicial mcds. Like if the data sheets say 'min 5000mcds, typ 6000mcd, max 9000mcd', you can bet the max mcd units were sorted out (thats why they are surplus), therefore expect less than 6000mcds. They buy my rejects.
I have a knee-deep 'surplus' of genuine first quality 50 degree white LEDs right now. Chinese New Year messed me up.  ghurd1 at yahoo

G-

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version