Author Topic: Cold cathode flourescent lights  (Read 3255 times)

hydrosun

Cold cathode flourescent lights
« on: October 16, 2004, 01:20:36 PM »
I'm checking out cold cathode flourescent lights. They are very thin tubes using 4 watts each 12 inch tubes and heavy starting wires that should last 30,00 hours. A inverter converts 12 volts to 600volts. They do take a few moment to get to full brightness. I've seen small ones in portable lanterns.  Several alternative energy sites are selling them for 30-40 bucks.  One site claims they are twice as efficient as regular flourescent lights. I found some on sale at case-mods.com for $4.25 ,for twin 12 inch tube kits. They are selling them to computer nerds who put them in the computer case to make them look cool. I bought 4 and just ordered 10 more. I put one under the cabinent in  the kitchen. It was much brighter than the 20 watt halogen it replaced. I put two (total 16 watts) in my wifes clothes room to replace two 20 watt halogen. Which replaced a 30 watt regular flourescent that kept burning out because of the many on-off cycles. Much brighter and the claim is it won't burn out with lots of cycles.  One wart is they come without any case so they are too bright to look directly at(even with only 4 watts) So I've used aluminum foil or heavy white paper to make reflectors. I put one in the pantry. I broke one tube twisting them while mounting them. So now the room is lit up with one 4 watt cold cathode tube and I can see better in the refrigerator and shelves than I could with a halogen that directed it's light  in the wrong direction. I'll  add the second tube when my next order comes. I'm pretty happy with these low power, bright lights. I've tried all kinds of Leds including ones with 30 leds that draw 200ma but they don't hold a candle to these and cost much more for area lighting. For focused and portable lights I'll stick to Leds.

Chris
« Last Edit: October 16, 2004, 01:20:36 PM by (unknown) »

Opera House

Re: Cold cathode flourescent lights
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2004, 07:01:38 PM »
Interesting.  Do you mean www.casemods.com  I don't see anything on that site abought lights.  
« Last Edit: October 16, 2004, 07:01:38 PM by Opera House »

hydrosun

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2004, 01:33:24 PM »
Sorry, its www.case-mod.com  
« Last Edit: October 20, 2004, 01:33:24 PM by hydrosun »

bob golding

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2004, 06:02:42 PM »
hi checked out  the  case-mods site. unfortunatly they wont an order to the UK for less than 200 dollars. what i have done in the past is get someone in the US to order stuff for me then send it over. i wonder if you could do that for me? i would like to get 20 of those  white tubes they have on offer. the ones at 4.75 for 2. here they are 10 dollars each. compared with the UK they are a bargain even with the postage. email me if you think you can do this for me. thinking if you order them you can just relabel them and send them on. i will of course reinburse you for your time as well as the costs.

many thanks

bob golding

« Last Edit: October 26, 2004, 06:02:42 PM by bob golding »
if i cant fix it i can fix it so it cant be fixed.

mvhpv

GE 12" single flourescent lights
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2004, 10:24:48 PM »
I recently purchased a few GE battery powered "closet lights".  These single tube fluorescents are powered by eight AA cells have have "STATELLITE F8T5D" 12' tubes. I diassembled one and soldered in a couple of lengths of leads to connect to my RV solar system.  At 13.8v, the light only lasted about 4 hours of continus use.  Needless to say, I was a disapointed.  I have three more i'd love to use, but fear the same results.  I did a test with 8 fresh (new) 1.5v AA's (a little over 12v), and they seem happy at 450ma draw.  Can they really be THAT sensitive to 1.8v increase? BTW, they only $7 apiece.    
« Last Edit: November 02, 2004, 10:24:48 PM by mvhpv »

Q Man

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2004, 12:00:39 PM »
Has anyone tried cold cathodes in cold temperatures (ie at or below freezing)? Are they subject to the same problems in cold weather that regular and compact fluorescents are?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2004, 12:00:39 PM by Q Man »

Q Man

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2004, 12:02:35 PM »
Has anyone tried cold cathodes in cold temperatures (ie at or below freezing)? Are they subject to the same problems in cold weather that regular and compact fluorescents are?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2004, 12:02:35 PM by Q Man »

Peppyy

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2004, 05:13:21 PM »
Just have to say I can't get enough of this site. Had to join the board to make a few, hopefully useful, comments.

I found a good place to get Cold cathode lights cheap. Only problem is that they are all colored ones. Big Lots has 10" 12v Cold cathode tubes set up for use on autos with a cigarette lighter plug and switch for $2.97 I have used some for halloween effects and they last forever on my booster pack. A bit of google tells me that they are also available at walmart for around $10.

I also just found 12" 12v available in white at http://www.directron.com/lzbupc.html

Specifications: Average Current Demand 350mA at 12VDC. Average Power Demand 4.4W.

Pep.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2004, 05:13:21 PM by Peppyy »

morgantruce

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2004, 09:50:13 AM »
Are the "white" cold cathode flouresecent lights (sold for lighting computer cases) WARM white... or COLD white? Does anyone have a Kelvin number for them? 2500-3000 would be OK for my tastes.

Most of the "white" LED's I have are a very harsh blue-ish tint---which I find unpleasant to look at or read by.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2004, 09:50:13 AM by morgantruce »