Author Topic: GE 12" fluorescents  (Read 1661 times)

mvhpv

GE 12" fluorescents
« on: November 02, 2004, 10:29:53 PM »
I recently purchased a few GE battery powered "closet lights".  These single tube fluorescents are powered by eight AA cells have have "STATELLITE F8T5D" 12" tubes. I diassembled one and soldered in a couple of lengths of leads to connect to my RV solar system.  At 13.8v, the light only lasted about 4 hours of continus use.  Needless to say, I was a disapointed.  I have three more i'd love to use, but fear the same results.  I did a test with 8 fresh (new) 1.5v AA's (a little over 12v), and they seem happy at 450ma draw.  Can they really be THAT sensitive to 1.8v increase? BTW, they only $7 apiece.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2004, 10:29:53 PM by (unknown) »

nothing to lose

Re: GE 12" fluorescents
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2004, 04:05:15 PM »
Did you fry the tube or balast, what went bad?

After seeing your post I remember I saw some 12v battery operated blacklights like those at Wal-mart, they might have had normal white ones too, though I don't remember seeing any. I was looking for strange stuff for a computer mod then though.

I don't know the brand. Anyway if you fried the tube maybe you can get a new one there cheap.

Would it be possible to reduce the voltage to the lights by the 1.8V? Maybe use a potimeter to adjust it like a dimmer switch. I would think being made for AA batteries they should work at a slightly lower V but then again you would not think they would fry at 1.8v over either. I wonder if you would loose much light, or if the balast will even light them at about 10.5V. Then if you gain 1.8V your only at 12.3 and surely they will handle that, but no garauntee.

By the way, you ever see them taped to CB antennas on trucks? We used to do that and they light up nicely but not fully when we keyed the mic to talk. I think the tubes should work ok at 10.5 if you try it, but getting the power from the ballast might be the problem. If they light off a CB attena they should light off nearly anything, we were only in the 4 watt power ranges. But we did not have anytype of balasts to contend with either.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2004, 04:05:15 PM by nothing to lose »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2004, 11:25:29 AM »
Sometimes 8 fresh alkalines will give about 13.2v. About 1.65v each. The light should handle it. Could try 3 diodes inline to drop the V about 2 volts.

A friend had a battery Fl light from lowes with a hole for a 12v adapter. Wired it to a battery. Lasted several years. Probably $10?

There is usually a differance between good and cheap.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2004, 11:25:29 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

whatsnext

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2005, 10:57:00 AM »
It could just be a bad light. Will the store take it back?

Boater's World has these real cheap FL trouble type light for about $4. If you see one you might want to try one. Cosmeticly they are kind of odd but they do light up and they're wired for auto use.

John.......
« Last Edit: June 15, 2005, 10:57:00 AM by whatsnext »