Author Topic: winter garden  (Read 1734 times)

thirteen

• Single going totally off grid 1,1, 2013
winter garden
« on: January 21, 2007, 05:16:32 AM »
Has anyone dealt with T8 or T 5 for a winter garden.  I am wondering about how much they power the need for a 14 hr day. There was an article in the newspaper Saturday about useing the lights in your indoor garden.  Or starter gardens for the spring.  They did not give any information of where to get them or information on them
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 05:16:32 AM by (unknown) »
MntMnROY 13

thefinis

Re: winter garden
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 11:19:36 AM »
Here is a page with prices etc for the T series bulbs for growing plants.

http://www.plantlightinghydroponics.com/grow-bulbs-fluorescent-c-73.html

I think that the wattage listed is the total power usage compare it to the lumins for light vs power. I would be sure and use mylar to reflect the light back to the plants as much as possible. Almost any search on grow lights or green houses should return links to research using grow lights.

Unless you are making surplus power using lamps to grow plants does not make good economic sense. It will work for early starts to transplant to the garden or as supplemental light for indoor house plants and to extend the daylight hours for plants needing it to fruit. For trying to grow your own vegetables in the winter just/mostly under lights expect a lot of effort and electricity for a small return.

Good luck

Finis

« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 11:19:36 AM by thefinis »