Author Topic: Fluorescent Lantern  (Read 3839 times)

claude

Fluorescent Lantern
« on: January 27, 2007, 10:38:07 AM »
I saw the other week a camping lantern for sale and the price seemed to me a little high for the 6 hours of fluorescent light it provided. I decided I could just modify a gas one along with batteries and one scanner fourescent circuit I had around. So I ordered one online and waited till it arrived.

I came pretty soon and I realised that my dream of fitting a sealed lead acid battery won't work because the base is simply too small. So I went to plan B - small AA batteries in series. I cut out the base of the gas tank with a can opener. Then I found another can that seemed to fit the opened base. I drilled two holes each side to fix screws so that the new bottom stays in place.

The fluorescent circuit was designed for 12V but it started happily with 6V only. The base of the lantern was allowing for two battery holders, 4 pieces each so I tied them in series for 9.6V in total. I bought 8 batteries, 1200mAh each (it was cheaper) and inserted them into the holders and then into the lantern's base along with the scanner circuit, a switch and a little power socket that gave me acces to the holders output. This will be used to charge the batteries with a 11.2V/150mAh trickle charger. In the photo you can see the wires attached since it was the first charging the batteries experienced.

The fluorescent tube was taken from a 11W warm white fluorescent bulb. The yellowish light output pleased me since it was more authentic and it fit the retro theme perfectly, although the tube itself ruins the view a litte.

The bulb takes 250mAh from batteries so I expect 4-6 hours of light with the 1200mAh batteries. If I were using 2400mAh ones, the expectations would have been double.

Well, it does not surpass the commercial modern camping light I saw, in terms of autonomy, but the light output and the experience is well worth it.

The lamp looks unaltered in the end, except for the fluorescent bulb, and the bronze antique finishing makes it a great decoration for my room. I just love old-fashioned stuff. This was an easy project but should anyone be interested in this, I can provide more information about building this lantern.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 10:38:07 AM by (unknown) »

Shadow

Re: Fluorescent Lantern
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 07:23:47 AM »
Thats very cool! I got one of the camping ones for Xmas, I use it in my powershed for extra portable lighting. But yours does look way cooler.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 07:23:47 AM by Shadow »

sk windpirate

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 12:07:25 PM »
I, for sure would like to see more details. I have a couple of older lamps and I was just going to make a hanging lamp out of them. Maybe I should think bigger, better

Thanks

Ron

« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 12:07:25 PM by sk windpirate »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 01:18:15 PM »
Too Cool ! !

I am interested in this "fluorescent circuit" you are talking about ?

At least you didn't try to open the bottom up with a blow torch . . .

« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 01:18:15 PM by wooferhound »

claude

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2007, 03:02:21 PM »
Hy wooferhound,

The circuit I used in this lamp was taken from an old HP scanner. However you can do one yourself using the info's you'll find at the following link.

http://www.talkingelectronics.com/Projects/FluorescentInverter/FluorescentInverter.html

Oh, some electronics knowledges will be needed. But if you have a useless scanner around, it's all just plug-out and plug-in. Then play.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 03:02:21 PM by claude »

claude

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2007, 03:06:01 PM »
Thanks shadow,

Cool or not, I'm not yet satisfied with the result. So far, the autonomy is 1:30h but that's the first charge of the batteries so I hope it will rise along the following charging sessions.

Claude

« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 03:06:01 PM by claude »

claude

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2007, 03:11:54 PM »
Hy Ron,

use this circuit: http://www.talkingelectronics.com/Projects/FluorescentInverter/FluorescentInverter.html

it's bigger and better, as you like it. Depending on your light expectations it will eat up in between 0.3 to 1.8 Amps/h and power up 20W bulbs. Get ready for heatsinking. Cut the base tank with the can opener. Take out everything inside the glass jar. The rest is coming, if you're still interested.

Claude

« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 03:11:54 PM by claude »

hiker

• BIG DOG
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2007, 03:33:41 AM »
heres mine --no batts --powered by 110v ac..

took the wick out--installed a regular 110v receptacal..

made a plywood base--had to take the base out to install the screwin light ficture..

its been up for about 3 years now--guess its about time to throw some paint on it..

« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 03:33:41 AM by hiker »
WILD in ALASKA

Norm

• Ohio's sharpest corner
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2007, 11:29:02 AM »
I was wondering how long a 12 volt cordless drill

ni-cad battery pack would operate a couple of

those 40 watt tubes at 22 watts ?

I could always put 2,3 or 4 in paks in parallel.

Right off I could charge the bat paks with pedal

power.

(need the exercise anyways)

( :>) Norm.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 11:29:02 AM by Norm »

claude

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2007, 01:55:08 PM »
I think you'll need several packs for a decent amount of operating time. I never tried that but I'm already thinking of upgrading this lantern to SLA batteries. I'll have to extend the base to make room for that but I'll gain more than the 40 minutes of light these crappy NiMh batteries provide so far.

Claude

« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 01:55:08 PM by claude »

timewarp

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2007, 03:34:01 PM »
Claude, i too am very interested in this project.

Did you remove the bulb from a 110 compact flourescent? I did not know this was possible. Thanks, and please post any more pics info you might have.

Paul

« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 03:34:01 PM by timewarp »

dinges

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2007, 03:46:47 PM »
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 03:46:47 PM by dinges »
“Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing.” (W. von Braun)