Author Topic: 120VAC LEDs - Update 1  (Read 1920 times)

JamesJackson

120VAC LEDs - Update 1
« on: August 02, 2007, 03:54:46 PM »
This is an update to my initial post about the 120VAC LEDs that Seoul Semiconductor is now making. I ordered a couple to test out.

I received the LEDs last week, but just now got around to using one of them.

I used an old CFL lightbulb base, and a heatsink from a computer IC. I soldered the leads from the socket to the LED. I then screwed the LED 'bulb' into one of my ceiling fan light sockets. When I turned on the light... OMG!!! It's bright! - and white light!

Technical details -

The CFL base is from one of those that was 2.25" outside diameter. It has a vented cone that tapers down to the Edison base. I took off the fluorescent tube, and removed the PCB that was inside, leaving a 'shell'.

The heatsink used is just under 2" square with a ΒΌ" raised 1.3" 'platform' that was attached directly to the integrated circuit. The topside of the heatsink has cooling fins. The heatsink is made out aluminum that is anodized.

I ground down (or rounded) the corners of the heatsink to allow it to fit inside the cone. The heatsink pretty much 'snapped' into place, and is a tight enough fit so that no epoxy to hold it in place is necessary.

The Acriche LED is composed of two SMT LEDs attached to an aluminum backed PCB. The size of the PCB is about 1.6" x .8". It has an adhesive backing that appears to have thermal properties.

I brought the two AC wires up from the base, snaking the two wires through the fins of the heatsink, and soldered them to the two AC pads on the LED's PCB.

The LEDs are 110-degrees viewing angle. They are rated at 150 lumens (or 175 lux). Using lenses over the LEDs, gives them more focused light.

Measured power consumption using a 'kill-a-watt' meter. Current consumption is .03 Amps (30-milliamps), and 3-watts at 120VAC, which is below the datasheets value of .04 Amps.

Measured the temperature on the heatsink using an Infrared Thermometer, after it had been on for 15 or 20 minutes. The temperature is about 80-degrees Celsius (175-degrees F). The maximum operating temperature per their datasheet is 85-degrees Celsius.

Well, that's about it for now. I showed this to my boss at work this morning. He is extremely interested in these LEDs, and gave me two LED lenses to install over them - that will focus the light in about a 60-degree beam. I have 'cemented' the lenses, and am waiting for them to dry. I can already tell that they have a pretty good focus to them.

More on this later - if there is interest in this sort of thing.

Regards,

James

Should post to the original in the interest of brevity. Comments disabled

Original story

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2007/7/26/204829/352

« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 03:54:46 PM by (unknown) »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
Re: 120VAC LEDs - Update 1
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 11:31:31 AM »
James;

I am reading this with great interest as well. Please continue. Also, could you give the link again to the place where you bought these.

Thanks

Bruce S

« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 11:31:31 AM by Bruce S »
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

JamesJackson

Re: 120VAC LEDs - Update 1
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 11:51:43 AM »
Bruce, thanks for your interest.

I bought these LEDs from Mouser. (www.mouser.com) - P/N 889-AW2211 (Seoul P/N AW2211).

I have a feeling that ya better get 'em fast. They only have 30 left in stock - last week, they had over 80.

They aren't cheap - just over $23.00, but I did the math on how much they would cost, and over 27 years - which is what my figures gave for their life (5 hours per day of use) - I would only spend .50/month - half of which is for electricity - for three of these in my living room ceiling fan.

A correction to my above post. I thought that the lenses were 50 or 60-degree lenses. My boss informed me that they are only 10-degree lenses. They really have a narrow focal point.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

James

« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 11:51:43 AM by JamesJackson »