Remote Living > Lighting

A better mini-inverter for CFLs and such

<< < (4/7) > >>

Bruce S:

--- Quote from: divemaster1963 on October 28, 2010, 10:27:06 PM --- I rebuild early model motorcycles in my shop and the light they produce works better for working on small parts.

--- End quote ---
This grabbed my attention :D. My neighbor and partner in rebuilding an old Suzuki frame into a recumbent style for my e-scooter testing, does the same thing.
Mostly older Kaws, Hondas and Harley's, most of which I get to help take a "test" runs  ;).
I helped him with rewiring his shop for long (2 foot) CFLs. His is full and he needed lots of light.
I talked him into going with purpose built LEDs for close up work. being able to run a super bright on a small stack of AAs helps him get around.
The AAs are charged from a couple of the 1.5 watter panels I horse traded Ghurd for, that and a dump controller works like a charm.

Makes a fair living off it.
The saying around or area is, "Don't matter what you ride, So long as you ride".

Cheers.
Bruce S

JW:
Here's what I use for this type of application, Ive lit 40 watt t8 bulbs with these, althou 32 watts is probaly better for them.

--- Quote ---24 & 48 volt available on special order. See the link below for the Iota ballast selector tool
--- End quote ---

I just run mine at 12v, they work pretty good and dont waste much power. (always remember the longer of the two output wires should be run along the bulb, the shorter wire run along the bulb will cause it to swirl and flicker)

http://store.solar-electric.com/iohipo12vodc.html

Just ordered 3 of these the other day, should have them by monday, I can post some pictures of the installation if you would like.

JW

Bruce S:
JW:
I've been messing around with the Triad model#C218UNVBE types.
 I get them free from work when they go bad. The "go bad" part is the internal fuse, quick fix.

These also have the ability to work off 120Vdc and will run two bulbs.

Cheers
Bruce S

Tritium:

--- Quote from: frackers on October 28, 2010, 09:33:57 PM ---
--- Quote from: DamonHD on July 24, 2010, 04:22:09 PM ---The only 12V CFL I've had failed early.  Unlike the mains CFLs it needs an inverter built in to achieve sufficiently high voltage to strike the arc and that mini inverter is a source of unreliability AFAIK.

--- End quote ---
I'm surprised that you have found any CFLs without an inverter built in - all the ones I've ever seen rectify the mains to DC and then use an inverter to drive the tube.
The 12volt ones just use a different turns ratio on the transformer and draw more current at the supply voltage so use a beefier switching transistor. It wouldn't be too hard to convert an existing mains CFL to whatever input volts you want so long as you can get to the transformer primary.

--- End quote ---

So I should be able to run a regular US mains CFL from 120VDC as well as 120VAC?

Thurmond

Bruce S:
That's what I'm working with to find out... After I return from a short trip.
I have ti build up the battery bank 1st which will be 10 banks of 12V NiCds with1.3Ah, then isolate the light from the mains, then swith it on with this "repaired" unit and see how well it works.
Will be end of November into December before I'm able to run this test though.

Cheers
Bruce S

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version