Remote Living > Lighting

A better mini-inverter for CFLs and such

<< < (2/7) > >>

scottsAI:
David HK,
At even $10.25 12v DC CFL are costly.

Multi pack 120vac CFL less than $2 each.
Most of the time I want a larger CFL than the DC ones come in.

Try to find a 23watter? Or 30watts. Single bulbs are more efficient than two smaller.
From what I can find, an inverter powered CFL vs 12v DC CFL are a 1watt apart in efficiency.

An inverter/CFL cost less with more options for lights and other loads.

When the CFL fails I buy a standard CFL to replace it, not another $10+ hard to find specialty bulb.
Last search the best deal for a 12vcd CFL was $145.95 including shipping. USA
Recently added motion sensing LED lights from HFT for $5, lets me get around without tripping on things.
Have fun,

Scott.

vtpeaknik:
Hi Scott.
If it's $7 on ebay for a no-brand from a no-shop, and they charge another $7 for shipping (say), I think I'd prefer the brand name model with the extra features for $25 shipped from an Amazon "partner".  Some other places sell it for a lot more (about $50 shipped), so perhaps that's a special deal that won't last?  (Not trying to push sales for that outfit - actually the packing was insufficient, arrived with the air packs collapsed and the plastic package broken open inside the cardboard box, luckily the inverter itself was intact.)
Not sure what you mean about the freezer switch.  The mini inverter I got uses 280 mA with no load, a bit worse than the ones you got.  Perhaps the digital voltage display (large LED digits, not LCD) uses a significant portion of that extra power?  (Could try and "fix" that...)  But it has an on-off switch, so can turn it "completely" off - a bit of a pain since it requires one to push and hold for a couple of seconds.  Also, not sure how "completely off" that is, will have to measure.  Much less than the 280 mA, I expect.  As for my big inverter (Prosine 2.0), it uses about 2 watts (IIRC) on no-load standby, when I have it on (usually the big 12V 250A circuit breaker is on "off"), and about 25 watts when it comes out of standby (due to sensed load, or if one chooses to disable the standby feature).
I'd love to know what 75W and 100W models worked for you, but those old ebay item postings no longer show up - can you report the make and model, and/or post a picture?  Thanks.

scottsAI:
Vtpeaknik,

Yes, the eBay links die after 90 days.

I saw the same Xantrex 400w unit at Costco this week $19.95!-)
Pock inverter 100w Xantrex paid $11.03 including shipping.

Good name brand, just like yours.

Same unit on eBay: (not for $11:-) (Picture as requested)

http://cgi.ebay.com/XPower-Pocket-Inverter-100-by-Xantrex_W0QQitemZ380045537193QQcmdZViewItem?_trksi
d=p3286.m20.l1116
ReChecked the currents on the 100w at 180ma Iq,

The 75 watt units (no name brand) both at 0.11a Iq. Tested Unit for 1 hour with one CFL OK, with 2 CFL at 40 minutes it shutdown. Worked after cooled off. Got two units for $13 including ship. Opened it up, tiny heat sinks. Will increase their size if mounted into a light fixture.
Knowing what you need and being flexible, with a bit of searching on eBay can find it cheap, may take a few weeks... most people got to have it now once they decide to spend the money.
Would like to find a 400w without a fan, not seen it yet. Not willing to pay much for it any ways!
I though I wrote a post with all the numbers, could not find it. Wonder if its on my computer some place!
Have fun,

Scott.

solarputz:
Howdy everyone!

First post on here. Regarding inverters and CFL's. Off the top, using an inverter to power DC lighting is one more component that can break down. Yes, the cost of DC CFL's is expensive because in the United States, the demand is very low. In other parts of the world, demand is very high.

The most common voltage for solar outdoor lighting is 12v. Both 12v and 24v CFL's will become more popular as off grid solar power plants and portable solar lighting catches on.

The standard socket screw for 12v is E27 which is the standard Edison socket. It appears that the market is heading for an E40 socket for 24v in commercial applications.

Vtpeaknik, you are absolutely correct that quality varies among manufacturers. It is difficult find a long-life CFL at a good price. It is also difficult to find CFL's at different color temperature such as cool white at 42k. During the next year, slowly but surely, there are quality DC CFL's that will become available for long-life and with the UL safety certification plus Energy Star designation.

Hope this is helpful. :)

DamonHD:
The only 12V CFL I've had failed early.  Unlike the mains CFLs it needs an inverter built in to achieve sufficiently high voltage to strike the arc and that mini inverter is a source of unreliability AFAIK.

By contrast, my 12V LEDs lights are all going strong.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say that CFLs seem to me, IMHO, etc, etc, better suited to mains (110V/230V) and LEDs to lower voltages (12V/24V) and will be more reliable with less tricky control circuitry at those levels.

Rgds

Damon

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version