Author Topic: wind turbine and sine inverter installation help needed  (Read 1391 times)

POP

wind turbine and sine inverter installation help needed
« on: December 06, 2007, 08:30:16 PM »
Hi all.....new user here, this site is great....I see many uses of wind turbines, etc....everyone one this site is so intelligent which is super..this is why I am happy to be part of it......I have had a Air 403 wind turbine sitting in my basement for a few years along with a Trace sw2512 sine inverter and 8 deep cycle batteries, sub panel and everything necessary to install alternate energy....I do tinker with electric around the house, but not with panels, etc.....I had a few electrical contractors here  but had to get rid of them for one reason or another....for "being way overpriced to do the job".....one actually came and installed the inverter on the basement wall with the sub-panel next to it and pvc to the main panel box.....it seemed to be going well...then he just never showed up again....never hooked up the turbine wires to the batteries.....maybe did not understand standard battery hook-ups or what.....but I would not been able to trust what he had done anyway....the wires he was about to install from the main panel thru pvc to the sub-panel were no larger than wire running a toy car.....I pulled them out right away....I new just in tinkering with installing electric in my home that was not correct....one guy was a electrical teacher at a trade school..he was a disappointment, after looking at everything he suggested that we build a model of this first....out the door he went....so on and on and on until I happened to see this site...it's great.....so if there is a person reading my post and has a similar setup "BOY" would you be so kind as to show me on paper just what I would have to do in Layman terms....not schematic terms on how to install all of this mess....I would post for you everything I purchased to finally put my project
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 08:30:16 PM by (unknown) »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: wind turbine and... installation help needed
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 02:13:41 PM »
Don't overcomplicate it.  It's not all that hard.

Think about one thing at a time.  Make a plan for that item.

Think about the next item.  Make a plan for that item.

Then put all the items into the master plan, one item at a time.

When there is something you can't get a grip on, here is the place to look first, and then seek help.

I expect it will be hard to find someone who will do it, and really understands it.  If you do, they won't come cheap.

G-

« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 02:13:41 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

cardamon

Re: wind turbine and sine inverter
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 09:45:32 PM »
could you provide a bit more information about what you are trying to do?  What are the "main" and "sub panels" supplying and supplied with? Is this a grid tied or off grid system?  The "small wires" between the main and sub may well be plenty big enough - your inverter cant push much current at 120v.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 09:45:32 PM by cardamon »

Rock

some help?
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 07:26:56 AM »
My first suggestion would be to obtain owners/installation manuals from both Southwest wind power, for the wind turbine, and xantrex for the inverter.  Both of which are avaiable for down load off the internet.  

Those maunals will have pretty easy to read instructions and will be very helpfull.  Just spend some time reading and studing and all things will start to "click".  

« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 07:26:56 AM by Rock »

POP

Re: wind turbine and... installation help needed
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 02:22:56 PM »
Thanks G for you input....POP
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 02:22:56 PM by POP »

POP

Re: wind turbine and sine inverter
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 02:24:39 PM »
Thanks Cardamon........I will get back to you on that....POP
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 02:24:39 PM by POP »

POP

Re: some help?
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2007, 02:26:19 PM »
Thanks, Rock.......I do have all the info and will review it again....its been a while....POP
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 02:26:19 PM by POP »

spinningmagnets

Re: wind turbine and sine inverter installation he
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 03:46:17 PM »
I am new to all this too, the only thing I wish to add is that I'm certain when batteries are left alone, they have a certain amount of slow self-discharge. Leaving them in a discharged state is very bad for them.

Since it may take some time before you get your system hooked up and dialed in, I recommend charging up the batteries right away to keep them as healthy as they can be in their current condition.

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2007/12/2/233728/480

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2007/11/27/15439/980

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2007/11/11/163527/19

« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 03:46:17 PM by spinningmagnets »