Author Topic: 20' Wind turbine project  (Read 1285 times)

shutterbug1

20' Wind turbine project
« on: August 07, 2008, 12:25:42 AM »
 I hope everyone is doing well. I will try to include a couple of photos of my work on the metal parts I've completed so far. I used a little different orientation for the stator bracket. When I rotate the whole thing on the stand it seems pretty hard to move. There must be tremendous force from the wind to have it rotate without a bearing! I think I will put a bearing between the rotating parts.

My problem right now is the size of the coil. As you can see from the pic my coil is too large for the available space. I used 3 strands of #15 and 45 turns. I also rechecked the dimensions of the spacer and pin spacing on my coil winder. My pins were a little far apart(about 1/16-). The spacer(3/8") was correct though. I even checked to make sure the layout and the wire was really 15awg but still the coil comes out too large. Can I safely decrease the inside dimensions of the coil winder pins or increase the thickness of the coil by using a slightly thicker  spacer if I have to. Would I still be able to keep the stator thickness at 5/8"? Or should I just try to wind a little tighter? Could it be that I just need to be better at winding the coils? Would the slightly oversize pin spacing make that great a change in overall width of the finished coil? I used what seemed to me anyway considerable tension in the winding process. I don't really know how much wiggle room there is in this area.  Any ideas or constructive suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. After I get the coils wound then I can start on the rotors.

PS: This is Forcefields 20' design ,48V stator,20 n42 3x1.5x.75 Neo magnets with 15 coils in star config.                                                                                                    

« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 12:25:42 AM by (unknown) »

electronbaby

• Windsine.org
Re: 20' Wind turbine project
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 07:58:21 PM »
Its hard to remember back to Dans original design with out searching. I just wanted to say that the 3/8" coil spacer seems a little thin to be using with a 5/8" thick stator. I would try to increase it to at least 1/2". This should still give you enough room to fit your windings, and yet have a structurally sound stator casting.

Most stators I have been doing lately are all slightly over 1/2" thick. I mean slightly, like maybe 1/32" over. I use a 1/2" spacer in my winders and I never have a problem.

You will have to experiment with the winding tension. If you go too tight you run the risk of damaging the insulation. Do you glue the interior of your coils? (adding glue as you turn). I have had great success with this method and I always have a very rigid coil come out of the winder. You just have to remember to wax the inside of the winder.

Just my two cents. :-)

« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 07:58:21 PM by electronbaby »
Have Fun!!!  RoyR KB2UHF

shutterbug1

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 08:36:57 PM »
Hi Roy,

I just went with what Dan had on his web page. I have been using superglue to hold them together but not as I wind. I was afraid to deviate too much without some feed back from those who have done it many times. I can see how the wax would be necessary though. When I try the next one I will certainly incorporate this technique. Thanks for the feed back!

« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 08:36:57 PM by shutterbug1 »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 11:09:54 PM »
I tend to agree with Roy, increasing the spacer to 1/2" is the first move. If you are still in trouble then you can gain a little by squeezing the hole in the coil on the inner diameter with smaller pins or reducing the pin spacing.

You look to have enough winding tension, further increase in tension will make very little difference to the size of coil.

If you are nearly there and haven't done the magnet rotors you may be able to set the magnets a bit further out, I can't remember what latitude you have there.

Flux

« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 11:09:54 PM by Flux »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 06:20:43 AM »
Yes, Roy and Flux both have it right.  My stator was actually just a touch over 5/8" thick and the 3/8" spacer you use is too thin I think.  Looks nice!  I hope that works well for you.  I expect youre using a higher grade of magnet there, youll have the advantage of a wider airgap than I had.  We built a 2nd machine like this and the mechanical airgap was very nice/wide and safe for the 5/8" stator.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 06:20:43 AM by DanB »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

shutterbug1

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 09:40:14 AM »
Thanks all,

I feel a little more confident now. I'd hate to waste any expensive wire if I don't have too. I'll keep an update as I continue the project. I'm sure there will be other issues come up! Thanks again to all for the advice. Mike
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 09:40:14 AM by shutterbug1 »