Author Topic: Size controller for Ten Footer Genny  (Read 997 times)

Miller Time

Size controller for Ten Footer Genny
« on: February 17, 2009, 12:14:51 AM »
I bought the very informative homebrew book and am now building the 10 foot windmill. I've collected most metal parts and ordered the magnets and BT-100 hub from Northern Tools.

These are my Specs:

1. V stator
  2. V Battery bank (Have'nt sourced out type yet)

#8 AWG from genny to rectifier

#10 awg from rectifier to controller

Large Inverter (3000 or 5000W)

I'd like this as a start project with intention of adding solar. Off grid setup for the garage and later barn.  Need power for door opener, lights, power tools sometimes.

Anyway, my question is will a Tristar 45A controller work well with this unit?  I've noticed there are some cheaper controllers out there.  Are they just that Cheaper or can someone recommend a more feasible controller for my purposes?

Thanks,

Miller

« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 12:14:51 AM by (unknown) »

imsmooth

Re: Size controller for Ten Footer Genny
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 08:20:16 PM »
I don't know if you want to build one, but I designed a linear Mosfet shunt controller.  You can set the target voltage to whatever value you wish.  The current it can handle is limited by the number of mosfets you want to parallel.

The design is at http://mindchallenger.com/wind/wgpage16.html

« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 08:20:16 PM by imsmooth »

kurt

• website
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 12:14:46 PM »
the tristar line is what hugh piggot recommends for a diversion controller for battery charging with wind these days i do believe. they are good units from what i hear. i would go with the 60 amp unit for a 10 foot mill at 24v as the 45 amp unit could possibly be overpowered if you do not get your furling set right at first.... plus you would have no room for expansion of your charging system if you went with the 45 amp model......  
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 12:14:46 PM by kurt »

Miller Time

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 01:56:25 PM »
Thanks Kurt, I'll probably go with Tristar 60  since my electronic ability is nil at this point.  Sure do enjoy this hobby though.  Great stuff here at otherpower.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 01:56:25 PM by Miller Time »