Author Topic: RE: Newbie:... [CLOSED] Continue in the original please  (Read 929 times)

dragontowerpc

RE: Newbie:... [CLOSED] Continue in the original please
« on: April 23, 2009, 09:07:55 PM »
Ok, I think I've finally got it figured out...

I used 3 coils of 20 gauge wire with 25 turns which produces 0.2mA and 0.02V when spinning by hand.

I have decided to try 2 phases.  Both phases produce the same amps and voltage independently.

I also went to Radio Shack and purchased 4 (1N4001) diodes ($3).  Then I went to Walmart and bought one of those small solar lights ($4).

I took the solar light apart and severed the connection to the solar panel.  But I left the photovoltaic resistor in tact because I thought it would be neat to have the LED only on at night.  Plus I am going to assume that not by having the LED run all the time, since my generator is so small, it would give the single AA battery ample time to charge.

Here are my questions:

Does an alternating generator have a true positive and/or negative?

How do I wire the diodes?  Do I wire them in parallel or series? Do I wire the diodes directly at the generator or do they need to be incorporated into the charge controller?

Since I have two phases, can I just take the leads and wire them directly together? i.e. positive to positive and negative to negative, if there is a positive and a negative?

Thanks

Marty

CLOSED to encourage continuity in his original post.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 09:07:55 PM by (unknown) »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
Re: RE: Newbie: Lots of questions.... Update
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 06:38:17 PM »
Lets get your generator making some power first, 0.2mA and 0.02V will not charge anything, in fact, you will lose all that power at the first diode anyway. You need to generate more voltage than your battery to be able to get a charge going into it.

You would have better luck using a Lemon Battery

http://www.hilaroad.com/camp/projects/lemon/lemon_battery.html

« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 06:38:17 PM by wooferhound »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
Why start a duplicate thread???
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 06:45:31 PM »
pc;

It makes very little sense to split this single project into multiple threads. Makes it harder for those who would help to track it. They watch the original and it just dies. Some folks think it will get more attention but it actually leads to less attention and lower quality assistance.

For that reason I am closing this thread and you should continue with this addition in the original for your own benefit.

Tom

« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 06:45:31 PM by TomW »