Author Topic: oops  (Read 1268 times)

johnyb

oops
« on: July 17, 2009, 07:30:21 PM »
 Hello all finally put stator together hope I didnt screw it up.I casted it 2 in hand 14 gauge 36 turns  9coils it looks like one coil moved in the potting process. Its outside the cicumfrence of the other eiht by about a 1/4 inch. I tested it on the laithe and wore a spot on the stator which exposed one wire on one coil.I also wired it according to the 10' filedlines plans,but kept all wires starts and ends outside of the stator . So I have 3 sets of two wires sticking out of one side of the stator and three sets of two wires on other side of stator wired in phase on the inside of stator.Mill wont be up for some time would like to test pmg on laithe and  see  if exposed wire causes any problem can I hook lead and end to an array of light bulbs each phase seperately to say 3 bulbs per phase and test it that way on the laithe dont have money for meter or gauges thank you in advance for any suggestions.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 07:30:21 PM by (unknown) »

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
Re: oops
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 07:00:59 PM »
I'd paint a little extra potting over the exposed wire and be sure there's enough gap on that side when things are assembled that the rotor doesn't contact the stator.

You REALLY don't want the copper in the middle of a coil exposed to the elements for corrosion to start or leakage to occur or for a thin spot to be created.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 07:00:59 PM by Ungrounded Lightning Rod »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 01:38:35 AM »
The coil that moved won't matter much. The exposed wire will have no effects on your lathe tests but follow ULR's advice and cover it before exposing to the elements.

You can test each phase with a lamp but it would make more sense to fit your rectifier and test the whole thing properly if you have lots of spare time.

Flux

« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 01:38:35 AM by Flux »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 01:18:41 PM »
I hope you find this in reply to your latest question.

What voltage is your 100W light bulb, without that information the question is pointless. Assuming that the thing lights at all then you have not broken the circuit in that damaged coil. If it is a 110v bulb then it will only glow from one phase at 600 rpm. If the other 2 phases do the same then it is fine, they should all be the same.

I can't remember what voltage you were aiming for with your alternator and as the question is elsewhere I can't check the information easily but no normal battery charging alternator is going to get anywhere near 110v from one phase at 600rpm.

Short each phase in turn and if it becomes hard and lumpy to turn then it is almost certainly ok. If you want to do any more tests than that then complete the wiring to the rectifier and measure the dc volts at 600 rpm when it should be about 3 times your nominal voltage or a bit more if it is a large alternator.

Flux

« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 01:18:41 PM by Flux »

johnyb

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 03:45:25 PM »
 Flux thank you once again it was 110 volt lite bulb
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 03:45:25 PM by johnyb »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 07:04:06 AM »
> johnyb wrote...

> i tested the phase that had the exposed wire on the coil were the rotor had

> rubbed  the stator. i did the light bulb test 100 watt at about 600 rpms it

> berrly got pink it didnt light up all the way am i wrong in expecting it to

> light up all the way at that rpm and could there be a problem w/ the stator 36

> turns two in hand 14 gauge 9 coils two rotors 12 mags on each 2x1x1/2 n50

> thanx for any help.

Did you test the other two phases to see if they are acting the same as the phase with the damaged wiring ?

« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 07:04:06 AM by wooferhound »