Author Topic: Big Ol' Dumb Question  (Read 902 times)

freejuice

Big Ol' Dumb Question
« on: September 22, 2009, 01:14:46 AM »
Hi Folks,

Will I thought the book by the Dan's  I got today would clear this up, but it didnt...groan. Oh the book is great, full of good useful information...But I didnt find this particular bit of info.

So my question is: ( This is the 10ft machine)

When you mount the plywood disc hubs/blades to the outside rotor, I'm assuming the rotor is already tightend into postion with the 1/2-13 nuts before the hub is mounted....thus, do you clear out the back of the hub or counterbore the hub where the rotor nuts are located or does the hub simply lay flat on the 1/2-13 nuts and that is considered the bottom surface of the hub?

Thanks guys!

« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 01:14:46 AM by (unknown) »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
Re: Big Ol' Dumb Question
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 10:32:22 AM »
Smart question and I'm afraid that I've answered that more than once in the last week.  The front studs coming out of the alternator should each have a nut run down all the way to the alternator, and those should be tightened before the blades go on.  Then, normally-  we fit a 6" diameter, `/4" thick steel hub (it has a 2.75" diameter hole in the middle) onto the alternator.  Then, the blades fit against that, and then another 6" diameter steel hub on the blades...  then - 4 lock washers and 4 nuts.  Does this make sense?  This is all a rather glaring omission from the book that needs to be corrected, thank you.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 10:32:22 AM by DanB »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

freejuice

Re: Big Ol' Dumb Question
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 12:43:44 PM »
Thanks Dan,

Great book by the way... I actually thought for a moment some ink was spilled on a page after a chapter...funny.

Ok I see, the 1/4 spacer...ok it all fits now.....great book! ...Oh yea, on pg 106 that hippy does need a haircut!

Thanks and all the best!

Gavin
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 12:43:44 PM by freejuice »