Author Topic: Server Tray  (Read 986 times)

s4w2099

Server Tray
« on: December 28, 2006, 03:57:03 AM »
Hello, I was just thinking about using a serving tray like those used in the restaurants to serve the dishes as my rotors. Some are made of great stainless steel and they have edges that the magnets can hold on to. I dont like the idea of using  plane disks because the magnets are right in the edge, to me they look like the magnets will go flying away.

I dont know if the shape of the tray (with the edges) will alter the magnetic flux of the magnets. I know that the magnets athat I am going to use are a bit taller than the tray's edges so I think that it should be fine.

Plus they are much lighter than volvo disks and 1/2" thick streel plate so at least in my head it would work more efficient for two small 30cm rotors so the the wind will not have to overcome inertia. (More responsive to wind speed changes)

What do you guys think?

« Last Edit: December 28, 2006, 03:57:03 AM by (unknown) »

RP

• A dog with novelty teeth. What could go wrong?
Re: Server Tray
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 09:17:29 PM »
Stainless steel is not a good rotor material because it's not a conductor of magnetic flux.  You want iron or steel for your rotor material.  Also, the reason that folks here tend to use rather thick rotors is because the Neo magnets are so strong that the flux cannot be fully conducted by thin (sheet) metal.  Some people have had success using circular saw blades with smaller magnets.  

Another factor is mechanical strength.  A ring of Neo magnets will exert an incredible force between two rotors (in a dual rotor system).   Also, you want really small clearances to the stator for air core alternators.  Any rotor flex during yawing will crash the magnets into your carefully wound coils.

Inertia really isn't an issue for most applications.  The inertia of the blades will be much higher in most cases and inertia tend to dampen vibration anyway.  Where weight becomes an issue is heaving it up into the air and keeping the tower straight!

As to having a lip on the edge to contain the magnets:  Some folks using brake drums turn them down except for a small lip at the edge for the magnets to sit against.  Other people use dowels pins or simply rely on epoxy or other adhesives combined with the magnetic force to keep them in place.  Assuming the lip is magnetically conductive, the rule seems to be to keep the lip lower than about 1/4 of the magnet thickness.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 09:17:29 PM by RP »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
Re: Server Tray
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 07:40:12 PM »
I used Cake Pans for my Rotors and it was'nt strong enough. I had to cut two disks of sheetmetal for each rotor and epoxied it all together.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2006, 07:40:12 PM by wooferhound »