Author Topic: Newest Newbie  (Read 1032 times)

Brian H

Newest Newbie
« on: December 31, 2006, 05:25:58 PM »
 Hello Everyone!

I have no questions at this time, I just wanted to say thank you to the people that keep this board going, and for those who submit and share all their knowledge and experience for the rest of us to learn from. I'm glad I found you guys! And I expect to become a fixture on this site as my involvement in this hobby grows. I may not make a lot of posts, but I'll always be lurking in the background... };-)

My intentions in exploring alternative forms of energy are pretty basic:

1. Saving some money. To this end, I went out this weekend and bought a whole armload of CFLs to replace some of our most often used incandescents. It's going to take a whole lot more before I'm done. I haven't been able to bring myself to throw away all the perfectly good incandescents, it seems a waste, so they're sitting on the shelf for now, any suggestions...?
  2. A degree of self-sufficiency. Ever since the the ice-storm 2 years ago that left us without electrical power for 5 days, I've been searching for and researching ways to survive the next outage with a minimum of fuss.
  3. Do what I can (within reason) to minimize my impact on good ol' Mother Earth.
  4. Have some fun tinkering around with gadgets.

That's it, in a nutshell. No big political or religious agenda, I just like to tinker.

As far as our dependence on "da MAN" we're in pretty good shape. We live in a typical suburban home in north central Ohio, USA. We have a natural gas furnace, hot water heater, and clothes dryer. I'm still kicking myself for not spending the extra cash and installing a gas stove when we replaced our old electric model a few years ago. Also, we have a 1st floor fireplace with a wood burning insert that we use to supplement the furnace when the temps drop below freezing. We have 3 acres of land, partially wooded, so I have an ample supply of firewood for the foreseeable future. It won't last forever, but that's ok, I need to make room for a windmill anyhow. ;)

I'm going to start small with my solar system so I can learn all the hard lessons before I make a huge investment, hopefully. The first thing I bought was a Kill A Watt meter, and I've already ordered a 12 amp charge controller, and in a few weeks, I intend to purchase a single 120w solar panel. To start with, I'm just going to get one or two deep cycle batteries from the local Wal Mart. Until I can afford an inverter, I will just start experimenting with some 12v outdoor lighting. The charge controller I bought has a built-in timer for just that purpose.

Wish me luck!

Brian H

« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 05:25:58 PM by (unknown) »

thirteen

• Single going totally off grid 1,1, 2013
Re: Newest Newbie
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2006, 12:09:06 PM »
Hello there.  You could look into a ondemand water heater, naturel gas or propane or electric water heaters use alot of energy to keep the water hot 24/7. You can I beleive get a tax break for installing one maybe $300 not sure.   Target practice if you shoot or gift to the salvation army tax right off or yard sale material??  When you cut some of your trees research to find what will tree grow fast in your area and build your own wood supply for future use. Look at your nieghbors for some dead trees you could cut up for firewood.

There should be a golf cart dealer in your area check with them for possible batteries.  Even a couple used ones will provide you with plenty of power. Esp if you have a solar panel to help charge them.  Maybe get a emergency small fan that could be put in the heating duct work of your house this would help circulate the air in the house when using the wood heat.  

Plumb in a naturel gas grill outside for cooking during the summer and during the winter if the power goes out.  I still barbaque outside during the winter months.   Get the measurements of the stairs or hallways that you would not need to get into and then you could maybe get some heavy  quilts or heavy draps that could be used to seal the ares off.  They be stored else where. Or if you wish depending on your house use doors to seal the ares not needed off. We use snowsnakes at the bottom of doors to keep heat from going in and out of rooms when not needed.  The kids have them in their rooms in case of fire they can seal the bottom of the doors. Three inches round and three foot long. Each has there own color.  

Find a small gas powered refigerator that could be used with the (if you drink beer or ice tea) grill you will have outside.  Mutiple useage. Carefull but a coulpe of gas lights might help.  You could put them next to your windows outside for some lights inside and outside. Might even look good next to your grill. Just some ideas.Roy, Mt.    
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 12:09:06 PM by thirteen »
MntMnROY 13

pepa

Re: Newest Newbie
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 11:09:23 AM »

welcome brian and we do wish yoy lots of luck. you have a sensible idea about starting this new hobby and you will enjoy ( even though it is very habbit forming) yourself. pepa
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 11:09:23 AM by pepa »