Author Topic: magnet rotor  (Read 2015 times)

guruji

magnet rotor
« on: January 23, 2007, 09:37:46 AM »
Sir I saw those wind turbines from scratch and they are using those wheel hubs for magnet rotors.In my opinion it would be better to do a much lighter one like a spoke wheel or something alike  for the magnet rotor  and with unmagnetized metal for less friction.I think one can use a much smaller propeller for same power.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 09:37:46 AM by (unknown) »

coldspot

Re: magnet rotor
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 04:12:45 AM »
guruji-

"unmagnetized metal"

Magnetic metal needed for flux to flow from backside of magnets to next one, N-S-N-S-,ect,,..

Spokes is lighter and also being done by some, (jlt for one).

:)

« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 04:12:45 AM by coldspot »
$0.02

guruji

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 11:30:22 AM »
Coldspot I am not refering to magnets but the rotor that hold them.Maybe an aliminium rotor would be better so that no friction with the flux would happen.It would be very efficient .
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 11:30:22 AM by guruji »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 09:51:56 PM »
You need to have steel behind the magnets on the magnet rotors to help complete the magnetic circuit.  you could lose aluminum - you'd just get less power from the alternator at any given rpm.  Im not sure what you mean by 'friction with the flux'.  You need to have steel there though - Aluminum, or any other non-ferrous material would be a poor choice.

A bit of weight in the alternator really doesn't hurt things and in this case it cannot be avoided.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 09:51:56 PM by DanB »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

finnsawyer

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 08:52:29 AM »
A little primer on magnetic circuits:  

The classic example is an electric transformer, which you may have noticed has a central iron core surrounded by (usually) two smaller legs such that the iron laminations form two closed loops with the central core.  Sort of a closed off capital H on its side.  The primary coil produces a time varying magnetic field, usually given the symbol H.  The presence of the iron, in turn gives a magnetic flux density B, such that B is proportional to H.  B = uxH.  The quantity u is called the permeability and is a property of the material.  The time varying flux (BxA, A is the cross sectional area of the core) causes a voltage to appear in the secondary winding.  The flux is the same everywhere in the core and divides in two for the two legs.  In other words, the flux forms closed loops.  If you were to take a hacksaw and cut out a section of the central core you would find that the voltage in the secondary winding would drop.  This occurs because the permeability of air (or space) is less, about 1/1,000 as much as the permeability of the iron, which causes a drop in the flux everywhere in the closed loops.  A similar effect exists for an alternator where the moving magnets now provide the time varying magnetic field.  The voltage induced in the coils still depends on the flux through the coils, so you want to maximize that.  The way to do that is to provide a iron path for the flux and to keep any air gaps as small as possible.  Usually the major air gap is the stator itself.  

« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 08:52:29 AM by finnsawyer »

willib

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 12:04:39 AM »
or you could think of it this way , with no magnetic backing ( rotors) in place , most of the flux from the magnets would curl around onto itself , thus eliminating a lot of the total flux from the magnets.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 12:04:39 AM by willib »
Carpe Ventum (Seize the Wind)

finnsawyer

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 09:00:54 AM »
Actually it's not just where the flux goes, but also its value.  The total value of flux coming from the magnet(s) is much greater with the iron forming the loops than with only air.  And Faraday's Law tells us that more flux means greater induced voltage, all other factors being the same.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 09:00:54 AM by finnsawyer »