Author Topic: Motor Specs  (Read 803 times)

Bayesoft

Motor Specs
« on: February 26, 2007, 08:39:06 PM »
Which one should I use for a wind generator?

A

or B

« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 08:39:06 PM by (unknown) »

coldspot

Re: Motor Specs
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 03:32:10 PM »
First photo

Looks like a DC motor

spin it and see what you get in volts, (300-400 max RPM's)

other one is a ok for a conversion being 3 phase but a 1750 RPM one is better I think, but zubbly is the man on these not me.

I think the DC one would give some good volts.

just my

$0.02

:)

« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 03:32:10 PM by coldspot »
$0.02

stephent

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 03:46:13 PM »
hmmm---rather elemental I would think.

#1 since it's a DC motor and has magnets (possibly) already. (if it has brushes it puts out DC--if no brushes it puts out AC voltage. This is "assuming" the part number starting with "PM" means permanent magnet of course. Give it a spin with a meter attached to the leads and see.

#2 is a 3600 rpm motor and will need a lot of rpm speed to reach cutin with stock windings, but it's still certainly a candidate still.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 03:46:13 PM by stephent »

Bayesoft

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 11:19:41 AM »
The motors that I previously posted went out of my price range on Ebay.  I now have DC motor A (Honeywell) on it's way.  It still has all the same specs as the previous DC motor.

My next order of business is to get a blocking diode and some capacitors.  I have some caps lines up that are rated for 350VDC.  Almost twice the rated maximum voltage of the motor.  The blocking diode will go inline between the motor and the caps.  We get some gusts/high winds from time to time and I want to be safe.

The DC motor is 3-Phase though.  I read on wiki that this is good for a DC motor to have.  I'm just wondering how it is going to wire up.  The auction pics didn't show any wires coming out of the side-mounted box.  Does three-phase still just have one positive and one negative lead?

I don't have the means to test the motor for output so I am designing around the maximum ratings.  I have no idea how many amps are going to come out of this bad boy.  I can't find any additional info about this particular motor.

For anyone who has "been here, done that".  How would you wire a system with this motor as a windmill generator?  I have a good idea, but some confirmation would be nice.

Thanks,

..../George

I have a digital camera so I will be able to share my experience as it progresses.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 11:19:41 AM by Bayesoft »