Author Topic: excuse my ignorance  (Read 1413 times)

jonnyr48

excuse my ignorance
« on: March 04, 2007, 08:50:34 AM »
hi,if i build a high speed vawt connected to the grid to take excess (or all?) electricity,strong enough to keep working in any wind,what components in the necessary system would get damaged by excessive winds?is it possible to install components that couldn't get damaged,or do without those that can be? jon.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 08:50:34 AM by (unknown) »

beepipes

Re: excuse my ignorance
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 09:29:27 PM »
First off, what have you read so far? There are a number of excellent pictorial articles on OtherPower.COM. When you're done looking through those, check out Hugh Piggott's "Axial Flux Alternator Windmill Plans" - he talks about a furling system that protects the mill from damaging winds. There's a lot of resources out there, and you will find the answers to most your questions.

Regards,

Pat

« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 09:29:27 PM by beepipes »

jonnyr48

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 02:23:09 AM »
thanks pat, - i wonder if you could be a little more specific about particular articles/comments/threads to follow? i've read lots of interesting(and often way over my head!) stuff on this website,but find it quite difficult to access the info i need.the search facility never seems to work,and given the amount of info here,its very much a hit and miss process to work through the whole lot!any clues gratefully received.cheers, jon
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 02:23:09 AM by jonnyr48 »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 06:23:00 AM »
jonny;

Use the "google search the board" link:

http://www.fieldlines.com/special/google

It is much better than the stock search that came with the board. If we had any sense we would eliminated that stock search the board link since its slightly less useful than breasts on a goose.

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 06:23:00 AM by TomW »

vawtman

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 05:10:59 PM »
Jon

Very newbie like question.

I dont understand the first sentence and i should because im guilty of that.

What components in the system would get damaged in high winds?

Well lets start with the blades.

If the blades are thin with a narrow chord they will have the potential to spin into oblivion and fatigue will result.

The tower is the most important part.

The loading can be tremendous when the blades get up to full speed.Unless the turbine is small.

The rotor cant just be supported in the center because the blades will twist whatever mounting you have in no time.Unless it is small.

Is it possible components that wouldnt get damaged.

Yes, What size turbine?Mechanical braking would need constant monitoring let the blades do it.Thats the crazy part of my thoughts.

Do without those that could be?

No need and there all needed

Ill try to post a video this spring of blades appearing to go backwards on the 8

« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 05:10:59 PM by vawtman »

coldspot

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 11:55:32 AM »
TomW-

First, I thank you for what you do for this board !!!!!!!

But,-

"less useful than breasts on a goose."

What part of the flight mechanics of birds do you not understand?

What other part of the goose do you like to eat?

So sorry but,

I just had to say something.

;)

« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 11:55:32 AM by coldspot »
$0.02

jonnyr48

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 12:19:53 AM »
hi tom,thanks very much for your help - this site really needs your comment on it's front page! cheers jon
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 12:19:53 AM by jonnyr48 »

beepipes

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 05:10:29 AM »
> ... excellent pictorial articles on OtherPower.COM ...

> ...Hugh Piggott's "Axial Flux Alternator Windmill Plans" ...

> ... lot of resources out there...

> ... jonnyr48

> ... could be a little more specific

Right now you're on the discussion forums (FieldLines.COM). This is a great place to read about varied experience from people on the forums. This site is owned by a business named ForceField, who also operates two other sites (of importance to your question):

Otherpower.com - where you will find pictorial articles about the construction of windmills and the lessons learned.

Wondermagnet.com - where you will find magnets, books on RE and other components to RE systems.

I started reading OtherPower a few years ago, but never got into the discussion forums until recently. I think you may find the following quite educational:

- basic intro to wind by the owners

- link from the above page

- the evolution the owners have been through building better, more efficient machines.

All these pages will contain countless links and get you some of the answers you are looking for. Then when you read the forums you will be able to find background information on what folks are talking about. They also have a recommended reading list. There are other suppliers for magnets, but you will find most of what is being described on WonderMagnets.COM - much simpler than trying to beat out a few pennies trying to make someone else's products work. In these articles, returning to you original question, you will find information about furling systems and the pro's and con's of other systems.

Regards,

Pat

« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 05:10:29 AM by beepipes »