Author Topic: Small scale experiment... What can this motor realistically power?  (Read 1339 times)

laquokka

So I'm playing around with this dinky fan motor. It says AC 120V 60Hz on it. I think I remember seeing somewhere on the box that it made like .10watts? I don't know much about electricity. I just know that if you spin an AC motor (with two leads, right?) it makes electricity.

I tried hooking up a multimeter to it and spinning it with a drill... but it's got about 15 options for measuring power, and I haven't the faintest idea which one I need. But it was reading some things, so at least it makes electricity.

So, how do I figure out what this motor needs to spin at, how much power it makes... etc. and what can I hook up to it? There's no wind involved here yet, just a drill and my imagination.

Here's a pic of it, if that helps any.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 01:26:09 AM by (unknown) »

coldspot

Re: Small scale experiment... What can this motor
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 09:50:04 PM »
"if you spin an AC motor (with two leads, right?) it makes electricity"

Switch the AC for DC

and that would be true

AC can be made to make power put with DC it starts sooner and is easy.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 09:50:04 PM by coldspot »
$0.02

Tritium

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 07:40:36 AM »
If you spin a DC motor it will generate power. The AC motor you have is much more tricky and would probably require modification. (some native AC motors (3 phase and shaded pole) can generate power under the right conditions, some can't.

Thurmond

« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 07:40:36 AM by Tritium »

nothing to lose

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 04:13:52 AM »
Hate to tell you this, you probably need to look for another motor for anything very useful if that's what you want.

This might make a toy type, light some little bulbs or run a computer fan slow, etc.. if you add magnets and blades. Might be fun to play with, just don't expect much from it.

A permanant magnet DC motor will make power when spun. The magnets make the power.

A series wound DC motor won't, normally. It uses DC power for both the fields and armature. No magnets.

Most AC motors do not make any power when spun. Sometimes there may be a little left over magnetic field from last time it was ran so it could accidently make a tiny amount of power temporarily, nothing good.

Looks like what you have there near as I can see is a 2 pole motor. High speed motor, that pretty much means it will have to spin at high speed to make power even if you added magnets to convert it. You could take out the armature, cut it down, add magnets,  and it will make some power, but the power you'll get probably won't be much, low volts, low amps, and the speed it will need to turn is way too high.

Like I said, might light small bulbs or run a tiny fan slow, perhaps charge little batteries like Ni-cads or such at a few volts. I don't think you'll get up to 12V with it though.

Use the VAC setting for testing volts AC, and VDC setting for testing volts DC.

On my meters the lowest VAC setting is the correct one, 20 On the VDC is up to 20Volts I think and after 20Vdc meter just shows a 1 error the next up setting I think is 200 and will show higher DC volts. Don't have the meter handy to look at.

A PM DC motor (permanant magnet) can put out either AC or DC volts I think based on type of motor. A brush type motor will normally put out DC volts, and if you spin it one way the red wire is positive, Spin the other way the Black wire is positive.

A brushless DC motor can put out AC Volts, alernating currant, and you have to convert that to DC if you want DC.

An AC motor does not make power, but if you add magents to the amarture you've built an alternator and will get AC power, if you want DC you have to convert that.

To convert AC to DC the most popular way is with a bridge rectifier. Just connect the ouput wires from the motor to the AC inputs, and the corner thats cut off is the Positive terminal and diaganol acrossed is the negative terminal, those 2 give you the dc ouput. The other 2 were the AC inputs.

If you look for another motor, you probably want high volt, high amps, low rpm, for the motor ratings. Be sure the RPMs are for the motor, not for some output shaft after a gear reduction box. If you see a treadmill being tossed out for junk, grab it if electric! It may have PM DC motor ready to use. I see treadmills tossed out often for garbage pickup, free motors, always when I am in a rush and no time to stop and get the motor of course!

« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 04:13:52 AM by nothing to lose »