Author Topic: Newbie Question on solar panel construction  (Read 779 times)

matthew6

Newbie Question on solar panel construction
« on: April 21, 2007, 04:16:44 AM »
Hi.  I posted earlier today with these questions, but they don't seem to have gone through for some reason, so I'll try again...

I bought some broken solar cells to experiment with and learn on, and as a newbie, I have some very basic questions about constructing panels:

1.  I'm wondering why it's necessary to solder tabbing the whole length of the busbar.  It seems to me that since the busbar is conductive and the tabbing is conductive, it's kind of redundant.  Why isn't the tabbing just soldered to the end of the busbar?  
  2. Assuming there is a good reason for having a solid, uninterupted connection between the busbar and the tabbing, Is there any reason you couldn't use strips of a thicker metal (that lays flat) so you wouldn't have to mess with keeping the tabbing flat as you're attaching it?  If so, does anyone have any recommendations along those lines?

Thanks!

-Matt

« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 04:16:44 AM by (unknown) »

pigpen

Re: Newbie Question on solar panel construction
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 03:20:58 AM »
 the cells that i have bought that had the tabing with them wern,t soldered all the way only just a little in the middle or close to the end but not up to the end so as not have the solder run and short the cell. I have done most of my cell with just a match head size solderd dot on the cell then put the on the tabbing then reheat. Just remeber to scrap the busbar or the solder will not aheir to the cell.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 03:20:58 AM by pigpen »