Author Topic: FIRST MOTOR CONVERSION  (Read 848 times)

windmillbill

FIRST MOTOR CONVERSION
« on: April 21, 2007, 02:19:27 PM »
I've chosen the "Newbie" section, for what will become obvious later in the post.  Background:  I have a 1.5hp dcpm, w/7' diam blades, (I don't know what tsr)on a 42' tower which has 6 guys.  3 at mid point and 3 just below the reach of the blades w/some to spare.  I am currently using a 12volt system just to get the hang of everything.  I have a diode connected to the pos incoming, a C-40 controller, 2 - 210 amp hour 6volt batteries and a 2500 watt constant inverter.  The mill furls right at 700/750 rpm - full furl and produces up to 20 volts @ ? amps at that speed (not exactly sure on how to measure that).  Cut in is around 100rpm.  I've worked all the kinks out of this one and made sure that everything did what it's supposed to do - dc in, ac out.  Now I think I'm ready to continue to bigger and better things (after I learn how to measure amps).  I've just finished my first motor conversion with lots of help from Zubbly, Flux and a bunch of others.  I started with a 7.5hp Baldor 3 phase, dual voltage, 1725 rpm, 213T frame, High Efficiency motor.  I located and isolated the "Delta" connection from inside and connected leads to them, so now I have 12 leads coming out of the motor.  I cut the rotor down to accept 16 1/1/2 X 1 1/4 X 1/4 thick skewed NEO's, 4 per pole, 4 poles total.  The rotor had an original diameter of 5.5" and when all magnets are attached, the diameter was the same as original.  Again I took all the savy advise this site offered and secured the can to the bench (which is attached to the floor) and VERY CAREFULLY inserted the rotor into the can via a chain hoist.  They are strong.  Once inserted, I checked for clearance (Clarance)and all was fine.  I chucked it up in the drill press for testing.  This is what I got:  

(I'm going by Zubbly's diagram - I don't know what the difference is between 1 or 2 of either star or delta but I figured 2 was better than 1).

@ 230rpm's = 14.4 vac wired 2delta.

@ 440rpm's = 25.5 vac wired 2delta

@ 230rpm's = 25.4 vac wired 2star/wye

@ 440rpm's = 50.4 vac wired 2star/wye

That all averages out to:  2 delta = .064 volts per rev.  // 2 star/wye = .114 volts per rev.  Some of the numbers up top may be just a bit off, but the averages are correct.  I'm ordering 6 stud diodes 600v@85amps.  Now that I have all of this, questions abound.  Eventually I will be using this with solar to operate my house, so, should I consider a 48 volt system?  Blade size may be 12' - 14' diam.  Any advise is always appreciated.  Thanks again - Windmillbill
« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 02:19:27 PM by (unknown) »

AbyssUnderground

Re: FIRST MOTOR CONVERSION
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 10:25:40 AM »
full furl and produces up to 20 volts @ ? amps at that speed (not exactly sure on how to measure that)

Measure current into a dead battery. (but don't forget to charge the battery again when you're finished!)

« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 10:25:40 AM by AbyssUnderground »