Author Topic: Water and DC  (Read 1350 times)

InkSlinger

Water and DC
« on: April 29, 2007, 12:42:06 PM »
Just a few questions? I will be drilling a well about 120' with what I expect about 7gpm (this is based on neighbors flow) I want to bring up to a 3000l storage tank  about 30' on a tower for drop pressure for inside water ie; flush and running water. the overflow from storage tank will drop about 30' is this enough to power a small water wheel to power dc led's for a 550sq' building? Can I introduce this water back into the well?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 12:42:06 PM by (unknown) »

wdyasq

Re: Water and DC
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 07:24:06 AM »
I doubt it is legal (or smart) to put back into the well. Even if it is, is your turbine going to be in the bottom of the well?

You would also have all the losses in the system - inefficiency of the pump, friction on the pipe each way, efficiency of the turbine/generator system and wiring efficiency. Total losses would be near 90% in my opinion.

Your cow ...

Ron

« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 07:24:06 AM by wdyasq »
"I like the Honey, but kill the bees"

luckeydog

• Colorado Wind Power
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 08:56:29 PM »
I don't believe I would put water back into the well.

I would rather use a float switch to regulate the water level

in your storage tank. this will save energy and keep your pump

from premature burn up.

Also size your pump no larger than what your well can produce.

this will keep your wells static water level constant.

so in your case your pump should be no larger than 7 gpm.

most homes can run easy on a 2gpm pump this would be more efficient

than having a pump kick on and off and causing premature burn out.

Luckeydog

« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 08:56:29 PM by luckeydog »

InkSlinger

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 05:04:41 AM »
I guess I should have been a little more clear. I will be using a s rotor to pump the water to the height described above then the overflow will be used to power a water wheel(is there such a thing as a home built in line turbine to produce electricity?) the other question has been answered as too many contaminants can be introduced back to the well. Has any one used another well distanced from the original well to put the overflow back into the aquafir?

Tim (still asking questions)

« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 05:04:41 AM by InkSlinger »

Capt Slog

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 06:37:34 AM »
What would be the point?

It's going to cost you more energy to get the water up to that height in the first place than you will ever get back by using some of the water to run a waterwheel.

So, pump less water to the tower and use the energy NOT used to power the lights directly.

By the way, it must be hell of a pump down there in the well!

« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 06:37:34 AM by Capt Slog »

luv2weld

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 07:28:52 AM »
Has any one used another well distanced from the original well to put the overflow back into the aquafir?

I hope the answer is NO!!!

Then you pollute the whole aquifer! 120 feet of sand, gravel, rock is a pretty good

filter. But introducing things directly into your water supply can cause all kinds

of problems. And not just for you.

Think of your aquifer as an underground river. You are probably not the only one

pulling water from it. Do you want someone else pouring <used> water into your

drinking water???????

Besides, it is still probably illegal. Once the water is out of the supply pipe

it is considered grey water. Most places require you to run grey water through

a septic system as a minimum. It is illegal to just release it on the ground. So

how do you think the health department will react when they find out you want

to introduce it straight into an aquifer?????

Ralph

« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 07:28:52 AM by luv2weld »
The best way to "kill time" is to work it to death!

InkSlinger

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 01:55:51 PM »
overflow is clean not grey water it is as clean as the water pumped. the principal of pumping with a windmill s rotor is still that it will still pump regardless. I am primarily using the well for the water not the electrical by using the over flow I thought I could get a little free energy if it just going to be run off into a pond. why waste the flow? I am smart enough to know that you can't introduce grey water into the aquafir!!! Think of heat pumps you draw water up take out heat and pump it back down another well I know this because I have installed these in the past. Whats with all the negativity? I thought you guys would like to help and gently correct  a newbee but this is a harsh environment  threats of the health dept and the like. come on it it just a thought.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 01:55:51 PM by InkSlinger »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2007, 03:53:24 PM »
I get sick of people calling the truth "harsh".

We see some really stupendously stupid ideas and every time we point it out the person with the idea gets all offended and calls it "harsh".

I don't consider it harsh, I consider it sound advice to a clueless individual who either does not have any common sense or is not using their brain.

I guess the main point to my comment is if you seek advice and don't like the response then walk away and accept that the people took time to answer you honestly, if in a curt manner. Usually this reaction is from someone with a day or 2 of membership here, too.

This is the internet, after all. Just keep asking and some idiot will give you the answer you want, but it may not be the honest answer you deserve.

This is where you call for my beheading because I dumped raw, honest response to your comment.

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 03:53:24 PM by TomW »

icicle

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2007, 09:33:34 PM »
Here is My Two Cents,

This is how it goes. Your pump is generally made out of Cast Iron and the propeller is generally made out of brass or bronze, with the exception of cheap pumps plastic or nylon propellers.

Cast Iron rusts up and contaminates the water with high iron.

Some of those Brown stains in your toilet( not the stinky brown streaks)are rust stains.

How would you like to drink rusty red water? I would not.

Next you want to take you overflow and run a water wheel same thing,

Steel nails rust, Galvanized nails also rust after time. If not mistaken the zinc they use is toxic. Now your wood Fir, Spruce, Alder, Oak and many more have pitch in them. Again how would you like to drink water with a funny smell of a tree.

This is how they claim it as Grey Water.

You have seen movies where they turn the sink on and it come out dark brown. that is rust.

there is no safe way of putting water back in to the well.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 09:33:34 PM by icicle »