Author Topic: first generator  (Read 1000 times)

Gazoo

first generator
« on: April 29, 2007, 03:30:10 PM »
I am going to build a generator for a kids playhouse as my first project. I am planning on using hardrive magnets and a couple of 7 1/4" saw blades. Does anyone have any tips or pointers I should be aware of, like is a sawblade good enough. I am thinking like 20 awg for wire size and I am trying to charge a 12 volt car battery, any idea on the nyumber of turns? The size of the ciols in relation to the magnets ( I have read something to the effect that the hole in the coil should be the same size as the magnets).  The shape of the coil? I am thinking 9 coils 3 phase and trying both delta and star or maybe both if I can with some device to switch over from one to the other (delta/star). Any advice that helps me understand what I am doing or saves me making mistake would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

I did a Google search of the board and it kicked out a long list of posts on this very subject of saw blades and HD magnets. Your other questions are easily answered via search, also. Maybe leaving this one in the Newbies section will   make it so others can find it without breaking their search finger.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 03:30:10 PM by (unknown) »

Ding123

Re: first generator
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 11:48:30 AM »
Maybe you can get a rough idea of what to do with the saw blades. I used a couple of sawblades. Very ,very hard to drill...had to get the wife to do it. I had no kind of hub so I used a water pump from a car,really good bearings in them. My wife cut herself 10-15 times ,playing around with the blades.They can be very hard to work with.Eventually, after reading posts made on this board, I ended up with my very own

windmill.  I have some pics in my files if you would like to have a look.

Get the stripping from around car doors to put around the tips of the blades.

Keep it well out of the reach of the kids!

When I first put my saw blade windmill up,we didn't have birds for 2 months.Oh well, have fun. Lot's of luck!

Ding123
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 11:48:30 AM by Ding123 »

vawtman

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 06:01:28 PM »
If i were you i would use a treadmill motor.Alot safer for the kids and far simpler.

Its a generator also.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 06:01:28 PM by vawtman »

outback

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 09:37:36 PM »
Hi Gazoo,

not picking on you here, but be extra cautious when building that first mill especially around the kids. i have several crash and burn stories.i have most of my broken props displayed on the side of my building as reminders of what works and what doesn't.mother nature can bring things into reality very quickly.hope i diden't offend you,please use caution and have fun.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 09:37:36 PM by outback »