Author Topic: Axial flux pma and steel rotors question.  (Read 946 times)

squeek

Axial flux pma and steel rotors question.
« on: May 02, 2007, 08:00:08 PM »
(blank)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 08:00:08 PM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Axial flux pma and steel rotors question.
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 12:10:14 AM »
Yes non magnetic rotors will work if you can tolerate crap performance.

Flux

« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 12:10:14 AM by Flux »

Seaspray0

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 11:59:30 PM »
Steel is used because it is a magnetic material.  The object is to complete the magnetic circuit on the side of the magnets that isn't facing the coils.  Transformers use it for the same reason, to make a complete magnetic circuit for the magnetic flux to flow out one side of the coils, around an back through.  Most of the generator designs I've seen use an air core in the coils which doesn't complete the magnetic circuit through the coil which results in a loss in potential performance.  This performance loss is accepted since it greatly simplifies construction and does have an effect on reducing cogging (starting the blades spinning is easier).  Some people have experimented with using sand containing iron (a magnetic material) to core the windings but I haven't heard how successful that has been.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 11:59:30 PM by Seaspray0 »

squeek

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 12:52:11 PM »
Thanks for the reply James. The reason I ask about the nessesity of a steel rotor was I have been thinking of building a two coil, three rotor PMA after I finish my first two rotor axial flux one meter turbine [three phase]. I have the hub. rotors,and shaft completed but dont know the coil spects yet. I was given some NEO 5/8 x 3/16" magnets [16]. 8 on each rotor of 4" dia. Thought that adding a third non magnetic center rotor and a second stator in series whould boost performance with little increase in cost or size. The flux across the magnets should still be correct [N-S-N-S]. Any thoughts? Mike.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 12:52:11 PM by squeek »