Author Topic: Small Solar Circulating Pump Ideas  (Read 869 times)

Orkney

Small Solar Circulating Pump Ideas
« on: May 14, 2007, 06:32:06 AM »
Hi all,

great board, very addictive and thought provoking !

Just building a new greenhouse, actually a polytunnel (hoop house?) replacement.

live in a VERY windy and exposed place and tired of the weather taking the poly house down during the winter squalls.

Have built a timber framed construction 8" x 2 " timbers, 5m square and about 3m high which will be covered with re-enforced clear scaffold sheeting.

As this will be raised beds inside was thinking of trying to incorporate a method of extracting some of the day time surplus heat in the apex, slowly pumping it through a closed pipe small bore system (3/4 inch pipe) to 3ft under the final soil levels. Hopefully this will act as a bit of a heat sink overnight.

Have some old unused lengths of copper plumbing pipe which painted black and perhaps shrouded with cut down clear plastic soda bottles and run through the apex timbers will do a good job of collecting.

Seems like a small solar panel and pump would be ideal, the sunnier it is the hotter the air in the apex so presumably it will pump exactly when needed.

Know nothing about solar being a VAWT fanatic. The house should be finished in a fortnight so seeking ideas for this before the work is completed as really dont know what panel / pump might do this.

Looking for really cheap solutions, preferably something i could canibalise together as the whole house will have cost £120 completed. Apart from the cover and the cement for the raised bed sills its made from completely reclaimed and recycled materials from the timber to the screws, nails and bolts.

Kevin

« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 06:32:06 AM by (unknown) »

Capt Slog

Re: Small Solar Circulating Pump Ideas
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 02:29:54 AM »
There was a BBC tv series recently called Its Not Easy Being Green, and they made a greenhouse heater like the one you need.  However, I think you intended to pump water?  I think this is tricky, and it's much easier to pump air.

http://www.itsnoteasybeinggreen.org/inebg_faq.htm

Through the day the pumped air warms a heat sink as a solar powered fan pushes it into an insulated box.  

In the program's system, the fan runs 24 hours a day.  I wonder if it would be possible to do away with the battery and just let the system run backwards through the night? although of course this would only put heat back into the apex.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 02:29:54 AM by Capt Slog »