Author Topic: Revisiting an Old Wind Project  (Read 976 times)

Baling Wire

Revisiting an Old Wind Project
« on: May 15, 2007, 08:57:12 PM »
About 25-30 years ago, I was tinkering with this contraption.  Sorry about pic quality, Technology and Time often changes Things!

This THING never got past the test pole stage; but, it did show some promise.

Life Changes caused IT to be abandoned until now.  The prop was made from synthetic

blades secured from a cooling tower fan.  Although, it is heavy; it was well balanced and turned fairly easy in a low wind.  I had no idea how to adjust the angle of attack of the twisted blades at the time and still don't?  I had the opportunity to stand behind it ONE TIME on the test pole when the wind was in excess of 40mph.  Might have been as much as 50mph?  If my memory is correct?  I believe the tach showed 325 rpms.  

I tried Chrysler and Leece Neville alternators with field excitation, and later a Chrysler with modified stator and magnets in rotor.  I think? that 30-35 amps was the best I saw out of it.  I never felt like I had the pitch, gearing, and alternator capacity matched up.  Another conclusion that I believe to be true, for longevity, chain drive is probably not the way to go.

I would like to continue this Endeavor and see if IT "will fly for awhile" and produce some decent power?  I am open for any comments or suggestions.  If interested, I have an additional file or 2 in Files section.  Thanks!

BW

« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 08:57:12 PM by (unknown) »

vawtman

Re: Revisiting an Old Wind Project
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 04:23:17 PM »
I wonder if you could replace the current hub with a brake rotor with neos(not around back then)and have a stator behind it.I dont understand that last pic.How big is it?

Anytime you can figure a way to direct drive its much better than gearing.Even though it might cost a little more.In my humble opinion.

Get her goin.

Your name just gave me an idea.Thanks

« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 04:23:17 PM by vawtman »

Baling Wire

Re: Revisiting an Old Wind Project
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 11:41:00 AM »
Thanks for comments vawtman!  I've noticed that axial flux machines are pretty popular here.  I do understand many of their advantages.  My 1st thoughts about converting IT to an axial flus setup; were that it would be difficult?  Now I believe that I could put a stator in front of the big gear.  Maybe behind with more difficulty.

The big gear is just shy of 16".  I know nothing about designing a stator or rotor circa 16".  More homework?  I guess that the magnets could be mounted on the gear?

The prop is 12' in diameter.  I've got alot of questions about "Properly" setting up the prop i.e. Low wind operation, Pitch/angle of attack, Expected RPM, Prop power curve/efficiency and matching it to alternator power curve.  More research I guess.  Sometimes with the research; it seems as if I'm "chasing my tail"?  I know there is an orderly fashion for designing one of these things!  Again, thanks vawtman for comments and letting me vent!

BW

« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 11:41:00 AM by Baling Wire »