Author Topic: My first wind generator  (Read 858 times)

Joekingiam

My first wind generator
« on: May 22, 2007, 01:22:46 PM »
Hi,

I'm a virgin wind generator builder so its been an experience thus far. I am in the process of making the coils in my project and have been following basics from "Hamster powered generator"

What do I do with the tails of the windings after I mount them?

Joe
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 01:22:46 PM by (unknown) »

Seaspray0

Re: My first wind generator
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 07:24:32 AM »
the varnish must be removed from the tip of the tail where you intend to solder it or connect to it or you will not get a good connection.  Placing an insulator over the tail is recommended by many here

As for connecting it, I've seen several ways.  Where the windings need to be connected together, you can solder them and then insulate the connection.  The connection gets imbedded in the resin when you mold the stator (this seems to be common).

Where the connection is made between the tail and the cable leaving the generator to your rectifier, I've seen bolts mounted through the resin in the cast where you have free space, then the tails and the cable are terminated at the bolts.  If you do this, use bolts that will withstand the elements and not rust or corrode (I'd use stainless, even though it's a dissimilar metal).  Don't forget to strip the varnish off where you connect it.

If you look around the site, you can see pictures of what others have done.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2007, 07:24:32 AM by Seaspray0 »